Stop me if you've heard this

Silvan

Maybe that's where the insurance premiums went?

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wonder what brand of nailer it was.

Reply to
Joe Stead

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:21:00 +0000, the inscrutable Andy Dingley spake:

to fog the mind. Things could happen to you without your knowledge.

And I love my HF framing hammer at $2.99, though I seldom use it. I used it a lot when I moved into this new house, but that lasted only for a year or so, when I was rebuilding the fascia and endcaps, demoing the kitchen, and removing the stub wall so I could regain a 2-car shop.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me three. I got tired of working myself into a lather for nothing trying to pound about sixteen tons of ring shank underlayment nails with a standard

16 oz. deal. I bought an Estwing. 22 oz. I think. Or 24. Tap, pop, tap, pop, tap, pop, now we're cooking with gas.

I don't have much use for it now that that project is over, but sometimes going out and buying the right tool for a job is an amazing thing. Especially if you've spent entirely too much time using the wrong tool for the job. Tap, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, tap, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, tap....

Reply to
Silvan

The sound you hear these days is KA-CHUNK and it works just about every time. There are not many folks swinging

22 oz Plumb hammers these days.

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:21:01 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan spake:

I'm happy with the 24 oz. framer, but I know how to swing it. ;)

could buy a dozen Estwings for that price, too, but THIS is the best hammer I've ever owned. Thankfully, I use a hammer very seldom, using joinery or screws for the vast majority of fastenings.

Go here, Swingless Silvie, and grab track 7:

check out this strange and cool monstrosity. I -WANT- ONE!

Larry Jaques

Aye. Got a Hart Dogleg that goes the better part of two pounds on the meat end - with a waffle head pattern - makes you think about what yer putting in front of it, it does...

Arggghhhh...

watson - who has taken more than one man to the hospital with a waffle pattern on his digits.

watson - who kens the roofer who favored a straightclaw because it could save you when you were sliding off a roof - 'cause you could slam the claw into the decking - only to see the same guy try it out in practice - and watch him drive the claw into his hand....aaaarrrrgggghhhh.

watson - who has used the same Plumb 20 oz curved claw for thirty years, for both rough and finish, with no damage to trim or limb.

Aaaarrrggghhh! Me Buckos!

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

OTOH Pat, those that *are* using 22oz hammers are not having 4" nails removed from their brains . . . ;-)

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

That was fruitless. I decided to see what the specs on mine were, so I went outside in nothing but my longjohns and sock feet, in 5 degree weather, to go out to the shop and look at my hammer. The info has worn off of it, and I don't see the weight stamped anywhere. My little scale only goes up to

16 oz. So I still have no clue, and now I'm cold.

Whatever size it is, it was the most heavy ass smooth-faced framing hammer I could find to buy. I didn't want a waffle face because I didn't want to waffle up the underlayment. It was hard to find a smooth-faced framer.

Huh? Buy a dozen Estwings for $3.99? I wish. I think you bot that gackwards Monsieur. I really like the Estwing. Best hammer I've ever owned. The second best is one of those ubiquitous yellow fiberglass handled Stanleys.

Going off topic completely, but on the subject of best hand tools of this general flavor, my #3 is my hoe-matic. It's a miniature mattock on the end of about a 10" handle. I have used the absolute hell out of that thing, but I almost never use my full sized hoe. It's great for close work. Of course, I haven't used it in awhile now that my perennials are taller than the weeds. :)

familiar with the song, if not that particular rendition.

pound anything? Maybe on a modern car. I noticed the sheet metal on my new used 2001 is thinner than a good stiff trash bag.

Reply to
Silvan

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:50:38 GMT, the inscrutable Groggy spake:

Unless the guy with the nailer (and the in the brain) shot THEM, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:35:34 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan spake:

Oops! Dis, I yed, diddle I? Mea culpa.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I have an aluminum-extension-handled hoe/cultivator that I use a lot. Heart-shaped hoe on one side, dual spikes on the other, goes from 24" to 44" and locks an any length in between. I also use the hell out of the multi-width rake I got at HF for $3.99. It gets between the hedge and driveway or between narrow rows of plants where nothing else will. The aluminum stays straight whereas the rake has to be bent straight again several times each session. It's lasted 3 years now, though. Did I get my money's worth, y'think?

It's a Windows Media Player thing. So solly.

It wouldn't HAVE to be used in an enclosed area. and may make a good bumper dolly with a planishing hammah on the outside. Also, remember that sheetmetal doesn't need a whole lot of force to put it back in shape if it isn't stretched.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I forgot about "dumb-ass" shoots self with VERY large framing nailer and does not remember a thing...

Groggy wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber