What's the best finish for kitchen cabinet doorknobs?

I've just had kitchen cabinets installed (#3 hickory, if anyone cares) and need to install knobs on the doors. I'll probably go with walnut face-grain shaker-style knobs. What type of finish would be best for these knobs? I'm tempted to go with Danish oil, since it's easy, always looks good, and is easily refinished. However, since this will be a high-use/wear application, and need to be cleaned frequently, I'm wondering if something more durable - e.g. Poly - might be required.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Kelly
Just some thoughts, no rules. The obvious answer would be to match the finish of your cabinets. IME, oil will make walnut much darker than the natural wood and may not match your hickory ... but that could be a good thing. I like to spray knobs with a clear, semi-gloss lacquer... you can easily do this without a lot of expense, right out of a spray can, after you get them the color you desire.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03