What's on my wood

Just bought a 2"x2"x24" piece of purpleheart from Woodcraft. The ends have something similar to wax on them, obviously to keep moisture out. What do I do with it? I only need 12" so I can cut off the ends but I doubt this is the normal way to go about it.
Thanks
On 16 Sep 2004 22:38:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@usa.xerox.com (Ron) wrote:

Scrape the wax off and use it. Should come off in seconds with a card scraper.
--
Smert' spamionam

Ron wrote:

Oh. When I read the headder I was going to suggest penecillin, but I guess not.
;-) Glen
With all the wise guys on the wrec I'm surprised no one jumped on that, not that I did that intentionally.
But seriously, someone suggested mineral spririts so I'll try that, or scraping.

I was going the same direction with this one. I'm glad I read it first.
It is wax and it is to keep moisture in, not out. More correctly, to slow the loss of moisture to minimize splits. You can just cut it off. Don't just scrape it off or you will have finishing problems.