What machine for cutting down 6x6 posts?

Page 2 of 2
Hello group:
I've gotten a lot of good suggestions. Hand planers, saws, etc. - all good suggestions. I don't have a lot of woodworking tools but as suggested I can rent, or even borrow, as long as I know the correct tool to get. Even the idea of building up the posts from smaller lumber sounds good. I also like the idea of looking into a local woodworking club, or perhaps even a community college. As this is an old house I'm trying to duplicate the appearance of the original posts as much as possible so as to keep things looking correct. This as much a restoration as it is a repair. I think I now have a good idea of what direction I need to go in.
Thanks again for all the suggestions. You've all been very helpful.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:57:42 GMT, "C.A. Decker"
How much do you need to take off?
Circular saw?

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........
Where do you live (general location). Some one might be just up the block or section that can help you.