What kind of grease for a vice or vice-grips?

Page 1 of 2
What kind of grease do you use for your vice (the most common vice you own) or for your vice-grips locking pliers?
Thanks.
Netpick:
Vice. An item or behavior which is often considered sinful.
Vise: Device, often made of wood or mrtal, used for clamping objects while they are machined or worked on.
Being a church going man, I do try to avoid vice. However, if I was married, I'd probably use Vaseline, baby oil, or KY jelly for my vice.
On 9/24/2013 6:09 PM, John Doe wrote:

ROFL. There's sumptin' wrong wit' dat boy.
On 9/24/2013 6:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You've heard about the young couple that didn't know the difference between window putty and KY Jelly? All their windows fell out!
Tom Gardner wrote:

Did any of them fall on you, Tom? :)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On 9/24/2013 5:09 PM, John Doe wrote:

None. Dirt catcher for w-working vise; never been a visible need on the metal one. It gets enough oil from threading die/tap splash, etc., etc., to never get that dry.
Vise-grips would simply be a mess...a little spray silicone lube at most, _maybe_, but never have needed that either (and have pairs that are 50+ yr old used repetitively, frequently).

I can't remember what I used on my little machinists vise. Probably WD-40, and now you can flame me to death.
I've tried HF brand of locking pliers. But when I need to clamp onto and rotate some thing (like a machine screw) the Vise Grip brand works so much better.
On 9/24/2013 6:22 PM, dpb wrote:

I have a few, and they work pretty good. About 20 years ago Crescent had some locking pliers for sale that weren't to bad either. The local tool store had them on closeout because they weren't selling so I bought a couple. I have not tried any Vise Grips made after the big move to China. I am wondering how their quality control is going with that. I have noticed their recent advertising campaigns trying to associate hard working Americans with their brand to combat the stigma of moving their production to China.

The Mole Wrench the Brits make/use is the worst excuse for a locking pliers I've ever attempted to use - bar none.

I use K-Y jelly
You visit the oldest profession for your vice?
On 9/24/2013 6:39 PM, Ignoramus20545 wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

That would be a carpenter, correct? ;~)
Probably farmer, actually. Adam and Eve had to till the ground. Though, carpenter is on the short list, too. And a carpenter could have vice, or a vise.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

With all the "begetting" in the bible I think Adam plowed more than just the dirt.......
--
Steve W.

John Doe wrote:

I use a nearly saturated solution of paraffin wax in mineral spirits. It dries into a thin film of wax which is not a dust catcher. Also use this on my table saw top and lathe ways.
--
 GW Ross

 I didn't fight my way to the top of
Now, that sounds excellent.
I've heard of using a candle to help free stuck nuts and bolts. Heat it up a bit. light the candle and drip wax on the threads as it cools. When it hits magic temp, the wax wicks in and lubes the threads. I've not yet tried this.
On 9/24/2013 6:52 PM, G. Ross wrote:

For woodworking vice, boe-lube

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and/or:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PXCF7aC9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A few drops of 5w30, ATF or whatever is handy, as-needed, on the screw.
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:09:24 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

Moly grease if any required on the vice, nothing on the vice-grips

Me?
I use KY jelly for my vice and my 'vice grips'.
I use moly-grease on my vise and vise-grips.
Lloyd