What is this?

Page 1 of 2
I have this item, it comes from a Giben saw, but I do not know what it is called, feed roller maybe? Thanks
http://communitydropbox.weldors.org/pic/17058/0.jpg

OK, guys, I am incredibly impressed by your wit and very creative jokes. But does anyone know the answer to my question?
Or am I wasting my time here?
Ignoramus16807 wrote:

Is it variable speed?

It is a 3 phase motor and its speed can be varied, by supplying a different input frequency. The gearbox is based on a worm drive and is of a fixed ratio 1:100.
On 3/22/2015 10:32 AM, Ignoramus16807 wrote:

And now you probably have enough information to have the unit identified when you call Giben.

Interesting that you say that, because that's not normal for a 3-phase motor. That says the motor is intended to be driven by a solid-state inverter, and thus it is probably intended to drive some sort of carriage that needs to be positioned and/or moved in a precise fashion.
You might try searching ABB's site for the motor. That might give you some insights into it's possible purpose (or resale value).
John

Maybe I missed something, but speed controlling a 3 phase motor with a variable frequency source is dead nut easy. It doesn't take a special motor. Most decent motors can handle from about 1/2 speed to double speed without any major issues. The big 5HP LeLand on my Hurco mill runs from 3hz (96 RPM) to 120hz (3600 RPM). The only issue with most 3phase motors is loss of torque and cooling capacity at extremely low speeds, and possible bearing failure at excessive speeds. The Leland on my mill deals with cooling by having a second uncontrolled motor driving the fan instead if having a shaft mounted fan.
There are 3ph motors rated as "inverter duty" but any old 3ph motor can be speed controlled with a VFD.

Well, yeah, the trick is making the variable frequency source, which gets a tad difficult once you start talking really big motors (not that the one in question is big).

I'm assuming, since the OP mentioned the motor being variable speed, that it is so marked. That's why I said it's not a normal motor.
John

VFDs somewhat stress insulation on motors, but running a 220/440 motor on 220 from a VFD should never be a problem.
Ignoramus16807 wrote:

Maybe look in a Giben catalog?

I already looked in a Giben catalog, did not find anything.
On 3/22/2015 9:21 AM, Ignoramus16807 wrote:

Since none of us probably has or uses a "Gibon Saw" and your have not indicated which Giben Saw, it is likely you are not going to get a correct answer.
BUT looking at the Giben site they build enormous sized cutting machines, some are plasma cutters. It appears that belts drive the stock but this also could be a motor to move the cutter carriage along a track.

I said "Giben saw" in my original post.

I would probably get a correct answer, from someone who used a similar saw.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I have never seen the whole saw assembled.
I obtained a pile of disassembled frames from that saw, for scrap metal. Those frames and assemblies, contained four motors like the above pictured one. I was told that they are for a Giben saw, however I have not been able to find out what they are called. They looks like usable components and I hope to be able to sell them.
On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 9:21:30 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus16807 wrote:

Well, hell! Most guys here do not have, or are part & party to, super-dupe r industrial woodworking tools and machinery, as the large factories are. Giben makes huge industrial tools, not your typical hobbyist or contractor tools.
You haven't even told us what kind of saw are you speaking of. Giben make s a variety of saws. Your item may not even be a Giben product, but a thir d party product, used in conjunction with a Giben product.
You seem to blindly expect someone, here, to give you what you want, when y ou want, how you want, etc., at the drop of a hat. If you have such a ind ustrial saw, as a Giben, then you should know what arena of expertise you s hould be searching among. If you have such a industrial saw, your first i nquery should be of/to Giben, themselves, for such a specialized accessory.
Wasting your time! You probably wasted your time acquiring the saw (and ac cessory), in the first place.
Sonny
On 03/22/2015 9:21 AM, Ignoramus16807 wrote: ...

Oh, I'm sure _somebody_ does, sure...but not that's reading "the wrec", not likely at all
Yeah, retty much the latter, iggy; there's no one in this group regularly who has this kind of manufacturing machinery.
I'd suggest, while it's a longshot they'll pay much attention as you're not a paying customer nor even a prospect, trying to pick up the phone and see if can get somebody there to try to identify pieces-parts...

OK, I was hoping that there are some industrial guys here like in the metalworking newsgroup.

I am on very good terms with these guys, maybe there is still someone there who knows, I will see.
Thanks
On 03/22/2015 12:29 PM, Ignoramus16807 wrote:

I was thinking of Giben, not the source for the parts.
Clearly they are feed rollers but from which particular machine or of what vintage I'd have no way of knowing.
Hopefully there's some sort of manufacturing info/part numbers on them that could help identify them specifically. And, of course, if there is somebody still at the facility that knows what the machine actually was, that's a start obviously (not that you didn't know that :) ). Even if they know its function but not the model it couldn't hurt...
I spent some significant time while in VA years ago at various furniture manufacturing facilities including the (then) nearly new Lane factory in Alta Vista but there was nothing even approaching these machines in any of those plants. Perhaps had they been thinking along these production lines some of them might have survived, but the product wouldn't have been what was seen as acceptable at the time; there were virtually no panel goods in any of the pieces back then.
On 03/22/2015 1:14 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Here's the kind of thing the folks here think of with power drives for woodworking...
<http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/c/power-feeders/P160/?reset=true

On 3/22/2015 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:

Clearly? ;~)
I cant wait to hear the answer. I at first thought power feeder until I looked at the machinery they manufacture/sell. They mostly use wide or multiple belts to deliver the material. I'm now thinking this drives the cutter back and forth along a rail system/gantry above the material being cut.
On 3/22/2015 10:56 AM, dpb wrote:

If they are the manufacturer and not an importer the parts department should be able to tell him what it is off the tops of their head.