What is this??

A friend bought it at a garage sale and wants to know what he bought. I thought it was some type stand for holding music, but the holder looks too fragile. What are the trays for and why do they need to push out?
Any ideas?
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez/www/wood/rich001.jpg
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez/www/wood/rich003.jpg
Thanks Len

If it was for holding music, it would be twice as wide (as it could only hold a single sheet). You have good questions! I will look forward to finding out the answer with you..someone knows!
Bill
On Thu, 6 May 2010 18:56:21 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu"

That's a januwine imported Columbian coca leaf sorter and hymnal holder he has there, Len. You kneel at it from the left as seen in this picture. Those Cartel drug lords don't want their employees wasting any time.
No? OK, then. Maybe it's upside down. Flip the ends to 90 degrees from the top and fold down that other leaf from the middle section and it should sit level. Other than that, I don't know.
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine
On Thu, 6 May 2010 18:56:21 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu"

My best guess is that it was intended as a place to put potted plants on top of an upright piano, without damaging the finish.

My guess would be that it is used for reading while in the tub. Personally I take showers, but have quite a few female friends that peruse while taking long soapy soaks. The side trays are for holding loofahs, wash rags, or rubber duckies.
snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu wrote:

It looks like a painters box that I once saw a while back. The painting you are working on would set on the easel.
Robert Allison