What is it? Set 536

Page 2 of 2
On 13 Mar 2014 01:37:53 -0700
3127 Looks like a saw-set.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Correct. That leaves the wooden piece as the only one unanswered, and I'm not 100% convinced it has an actual purpose.

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3127)    Broken tool. The screw once went though a complete eye to hold     it to a workbench of some sort or other.
    The dull knife edge to the right I think is for cutting wire by     placing the wire across it and striking it with a hammer.     (Probably someone used too heavy a hammer, which is why the     mounting eye is broken.
    It looks as though a different metal was dovetailed in around     the knife-edge on the body, which includes the surface under the     knife-edge, so it might be that the edge was to be struck down     to perhaps indent something instead of cut it.
    The tapered bottom may fit into something like the Hardy hole in     an anvil.
3128)    This is obviously a HSS tool bit from a lathe.
    Each end is ground to serve a particular purpose.
    The right-hand end is designed to turn the left-hand side of a     workpiece.
    I think that the left-hand end is ground to make a shallow cut     and produce a nicer finish -- or perhaps to produce a rounded     edge at the outer diameter. Lots of good views, but holding it     in my hands -- and perhaps actually mounting it in a lathe and     trying it.
3129)    I wish that the partial end view had been included in the larger     images.
    Lacking that kind of detail, I think that it is a form of vacuum     pick-up tool, given what appears to be an O-ring near the OD of     the flat end. There would be a piston in the larger part of the     other end which would be drawn back by the movable part of the     handle. Perhaps for picking up something like silicon wafers     from intergrated circuit processing.
3130)    Assuming that this is metal:
    This looks like a tool for cutting the surface off the side of     an electrical cable. It is curved and placed in the groove,     and slid along the length of the curve, slicing off an outer     layer of the jacket.
    However -- it might be wood (given what appears to be some grain     on it). If so -- a particularly hard wood -- maybe ebony,     maybe lignum vitae. But I don't know what the function would be     in that case.
    Perhaps it could be for cutting the end open on a cigar?
3131)    At first glance, it resembles a simple wheel balancing device     except that it is too small for even wheelbarrow tires which     don't *need* balancing, because they don't turn fast enough to     be a problem.
    So -- I would say that it is for balancing pulleys and gears.
    The device to be balanced is set on the step which matches the     diameter of the hole, the low side is noted (and likely marked     with a felt-tip marker), and a shallow hole is drilled to     lighten that side, and it is returned to the fixture to test     again -- perhaps resulting in the original hole being drilled a     little deeper, or perhaps another hole added somewhere else     along the circumference.
3132)    A heat gun or lamp. It holds a conical screw-in base (like     a light bulb, but with an exposed nichrome heating element in a     spiral groove on the outside.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

It's made of wood, the owner didn't describe it as sharp so I'm not sure if it would cut well. It's still a mystery to me.
The answers have been posted, except for the wooden item, along with two videos, you've probably already seen the glass tapper one, the other shows how the blade balance is used:
Rob
On 3/14/2014 4:35 PM, Rob H. wrote:

for a fellow. he was sure the motor cover bolt (which kept coming loose) was the problem why his machine vibrated. I balanced the blade by hanging it horizontal with a nail through the center of the blade. Wow, it was really off balance. One end dropped FAST. Grind the droppy end, and try again. When I finished, he was very impressed how smoothly the mower ran, compared to off balance. Nail driven mostly in the wall makes a good balancer.
Thank you for the time you put into this. Lot of fun.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Betcha don't own a file card either, do you? (I know... I know... just wiping a file on your pants leg works fine. <G>)
Lloyd

too much work. Had a JC Whitney tire balancer, but it was pure garbage and broke immediately.
As to file card, I had one a couple decades ago. Now, I use the wire wheel on my bench grinder.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'll bet you do, Stormy! I'll bet you do! <G>
<G<G>G>! Thanks! That's one of the funniest things I've seen you post!
LLoyd

When I was looking for the balancer video I saw a couple of them that were similar to this, one guy just stuck a screwdriver into a vise instead of using a nail. Seemed to work just as well as my bench top balancer.
On 15 Mar 2014 07:10:26 -0700

Clamp a knife in your vise with the sharp edge up. Set the mower blade on the knife edge. An old table knife works good. I have a couple of balances like what you posted in this weeks set. The knife in the vice works as good or better...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b