What is it? Set 520

Page 2 of 2

This thing looks bassackwards to me. It would seem the larger coin slots would be closer to center and the smaller slots towards the outer edge. I see it with my own eyes but still don't see how it works as advertised.

I don't own one of these but if I did I would take it to a local coin shop and test it with some of their coins. I'm sure that the slots closer to the middle are for gold and the outer slots are for silver.

After a little more research, very little, it turns out that gold is nearly twice as heavy as silver. I always knew it was more dense but I never realized there was that much difference.
Knowing that I can see where some of the larger slots that are closer to the center were for silver and the heavier/smaller gold coins were weighed in the outer slots.
Stay awake and you learn something every day...

Disconnect between brain and fingers. That should be larger silver coins further away from center and smaller heavier gold coins closer to center...
Larry

I'm planning to post on Friday this week, so please stop back then.
Rob

while the ones that run parallel to the hinge are when the item is used as a postage scale.

The one that I posted must be an older model, it doesn't have the postal scale on it. I found one on ebay that does have the postal marks, they can be seen in the lower left of this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/atgCgeT.jpg
3031. A caltrop. From the size and design, this one is for use against rubber-tired vehicles.
3032. Porter's key for opening upper bunks on a train?
3035. Part of a Brannock Device.
--
Mark Brader | "The job of an engineer is to build systems that
Toronto | people can trust. By this criterion, there

3031)    I've never seen a sheet metal caltrops before, but that is     obviously what it is. (Something initially to halt mounted     military charges.) These would probably do a nice job of     slicing open tires.
3032)    At a guess, something to plug into a removable plate (e.g an     access plate for shutoff valves), turn to lock the handle to the     plate, and lift it out.
3033)    Assuming that what is behind it is a mirror reflection, I see     what appears to be a Type-N RF connector, which suggests that     this is either a delay line, or a quarter-wavelength or     half-wavelength stub for something like an antenna.
3034)    Hmm ... no size on this. If the notches for the pipes formed     a horizontal line, I would suggest that this is part of a     cattleguard (placed in a recess in a gateway. Cattle won't     cross it, but a vehicle can drive right over it.
    But -- since they are forming a slightly concave shape, I think     that it perhaps forms a bench for outdoors use. Pipes go in the     notches, and the base fastens to a flat surface. Looks like a     few too many mounting holes compared to what I think that it     needs.
3035)    Looks too thin to be an adjustable height support for shelves,     so I don't really know.
3036)    Again -- no size. And slotted head screws are made in all     kinds of sizes.
    But the grounding cable terminal looks fairly large -- say at     least for 1-0 wire. And it looks as though the terminal has     been soldered to the spike, which suggests that it is probably     not steel.
    So, I'm going to say that this is intended to attract lightning     away from other adjacent things, and to ground it. Certainly     not the shape of the already ancient lighting rods which I knew     in South Texas back in the 1950s, but the shape should suffice     for the purpose, and those screws allow the spike to be replaced     if it gets partially melted by a heavy strike.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Yes, that's a mirror behind it.

The owner had found two sets of these, and as you suggest, was planning to make benches out of them though we don't know yet if that was actually their intended purpose.

There is a centimeter scale in the photo itself.
On 11/21/2013 4:36 AM, Rob H. wrote:

machine doesn't want to download rec crafts metal working, for some strange reason.
3031, might be for lining up beams for new construction. I'd sure hate to drive over a couple of these on airport runway. 3032, reminds me a bit of a plumber's basin wrench. But, this is far too ornamental. 3033, earthquake grab bar for midgits. 3034, don't know. 3035, probably pilot's calculation device for maps. Might be for clearing a jammed toaster. 3036 piano metronome.
--
.
Christopher A. Young