Is it handmade, or do my machines disqualify that term?

Handmade or Machine Made? Many folks have questions about my toys and how I make then. A frequent que stion is, ?Are these toys handmade?? It is a simple query that requires a complicated answer. Sure they are handmade, my two hands. But, always a but, I use a variety of tools.

More at

John Linck

Going to Sugarloaf and other crafts festivals over the last 10 years or so, I would say it's trending more towards "if it's not made in China, it's handmade (enough)" - the actual tools of the trade don't seem to matter much.

Reply to
passerby

On 11/22/2013 10:44 AM, passerby wrote: replying to John Linck , passerby wrote: toymakerjohn  wrote: Handmade or Machine Made? Many folks have questions about my toys and how I make then. A frequent que stion is, ?Are these toys handmade?? It is a simple query that requires  a complicated answer. Sure they are handmade, my two hands. But, always a but, I use a variety of tools. More at

Going to Sugarloaf and other crafts festivals over the last 10 years or so, I would say it's trending more towards "if it's not made in China, it's handmade (enough)" - the actual tools of the trade don't seem to matter much.  I use tools (lathe, sandpaper, etc.) to make the pens I make, and table saw, router, etc. to make decorative boxes.  If anyone asks, "Yes, it's hand made."  The tools used are just that - tools necessary to accomplish the final result. Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hand made, hand crafted, by an individual craftsman.

I tend to distinguish between (the terms) production (factory) pieces (many assemblymen involved) and hand made/crafted (made by a single person). Ev en if you would cut, shape or form several/many of one board/part, then sev eral/many of the next board/part, etc., then assemble the parts, then, to m e, they would be hand crafted, not production pieces.

Production pieces, to me, means producing many, as fast, and as economicall y as possible. Hand crafted, to me, means taking time and care to do the b est possible job, no matter how few are created, the cost is not a serious concern, and despite however long it takes to accomplish the best job.

Hand crafted also carries with it a high level of heart and soul (of the cr aftsman) into the piece. Production pieces tend to lack a significant leve l of heart and soul.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

AKA, cleverly being able to hide "handmade" faux pas. ;)

Reply to
Swingman