What is it? Set 517

It never was funny. And there is still way too much of it.

But we can hope.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon

Sum ting wong?

Reply to
Leon

So, what kind of humor does Marc like? The kind where tea party attendees are blown up by IED, and then set on fire?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No Laf Marc. Man without smiling face must never open shop. Ancient proverb. Need more calgon.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[clean up]

Never would have guessed that a group like this one would need a kill file.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon

Which of the three newsgroups to which this is cross posted: rec.puzzles, rec.crafts.metalworking, rec.woodworking

are you talking about? (This is one reason why I always mention what newsgroup I am posting my submissions from, to help make it clear that it is cross-posted. Rec.crafts.metalworking has needed a killfile for various reasons for a number of years. (And "Stormin Mormon" is a regular in rcm , and is in *my* killfile for various reasons. )

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You know nothing about me. What you have just written is a fantasy, a product of your own mind. It troubles me. Reexamine it. It should trouble you too.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Dint notice that until later--in most of (all of the other?) groups I read, I block crossposting.

I have recently started reading puzzles.

Rec.crafts.metalworking has needed a killfile for

I have long wished that the cabal had included the froup-being-read in the headers--but I don't know NNTP well enough to know it that is even possible.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon

[ ... ]

Understood. I do the same, though I make an exception for the puzzle questions, which show up weekly.

O.K. So that is where you are reading it from.

This cross-posting makes sense, given the nature of most of the things presented as puzzle item.

Certainly it is *possible*. All they had to do is to define the header and make its use mandatory. :-) And that could have been done even before NNTP came into the game -- back when all of usenet was transported by uucp. If it were there, I could stop adding my own "replying in" in the body. :-) I am curious as to which percentage of the correct answers come from the readers of which newsgroups.

And -- it could easily be implemented -- on a "newsreader by newsreader" basis, by just setting a header like "X-Followup-In: ".

But until it is mandatory to be in *all* newsreaders (including the e-mail clients and browsers pretending to be newsreaders), it is not likely to be common, or even valid. Too easy to forge.

It would be really nice for filtering, when you know that the most offensive articles are cross-posted from certain newsgroups (usually which don't have any reasonable linkage to the one in which I am reading them. :-)

You're welcome.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I, for one, would like to defend Stormin Mormon. Suppose he were Chinese. (I'm not saying he _is_ Chinese because I do not wish to stereotype _all_ Chinese people as being just like him.)

But if he _were_ Chinese, it would be in terrible taste to tell him to launder his humor. If you found fault with him because you assumed he's _not_ Chinese, doesn't that reinforce the prejudice that Chinese people should be treated differently? ;)

Reply to
J Burns

I have no problem with Stormin Mormon... ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Rude, insensitive, and stupid know no boundaries.

(If it is Chinese, and says crap like that knowing that there are round-eyes that will be offended, it is still rude, insensitive, and stupid.)

I'm not Mormon either, but that is still rude, insensitive and stupid. And I can not imagine any of the many Mormons I know saying something like that.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon

I'm sure it will appreciate (sure) the company in my filter.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon

Well then from a VGA cord made in China

" Caution

Insert securely lest should be detached in SET"

Tech writers you just have to love em.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

And then you call us round-eyes? You have any idea how offensive that is? Sheesh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess it is based on who said it. When JFK called himself a jelly donut, we all smiled. When a China man says he "velly goodly" we all smile. When a black man describes his friend as a "good nig" we just let it slide. But, let a white, Christian American use some slang, and all hell breaks loose.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:% Uqeu.162244$ snipped-for-privacy@fx32.iad:

---------------- I dealt with the Chinese one-on-one (face to face) in hundreds of international transactions for over 15 years.

They are dishonest, evil, and without any morals or ethics, except one: They consider it honorable to cheat a business associate.

It is, in their view, the highest of accomplishments to successfully cheat someone in a business transaction. I did not invent or surmise this from dealing with them. I was told this, in person, by a Chinese man who, having learnt how we do business over here, was 'converted' to our ethical form.

We try to extract every dime from a tranaction without 'going over the edge' and cheating or lying. We have whole cadres of salespeople who DO lie routinely... Car salesmen, insurance hawkers, and the like... and as a society, we've categorized them in both society and literature as the lowest-of-the-low.

The Chinese ALL deal that way, even among themselves, and consider it a failing to NOT successfully lie and cheat their way through. And similarly, instead of feeling they've been victimized, they consider it a great personal failing if they succumb to being cheated. It's a 180- degree reversal of our ethics.

So, don't talk to me about "respecting" Chinese. They're worthy of none of it.

In addition, they have often expressed their goal of destroying then taking over our economy. I suppose you would like that. I would not.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That could explain a bit about the US economic policy. After all, don't the Chinese own a few bling in US bonds? Wonder what they are doing to US politicians in closed rooms?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So there is one honest Chinaman and you found him. What are the odds? About 1 in a billion?

And how do you know he is honest? He told you he was.

You have to first convincingly lie to yourself so that you can lie to others.

That seems like an unnecessary extra step to the Chinese.

Reply to
jim

jim fired this volley in news:8N- dnfW9wp2fzOfPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

No... there are a number of them, but it's a small percentage.

And no, he didn't "tell me", I ASKED him, because he was the only one of about 20 vendors I dealt with who didn't try to lie his way through a deal.

I know this will get poo-pooed on this group, but it might just have been because he _also_ had converted to Christianity.

I'm always curious when I see something shiny sticking out of a pile of grey rock.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh