Dovetail splines for a box

I notice there are a lot of videos demonstrating how to make straight splines using a 45 degree sled on a table saw. Is there any reason why this could not be done using a similar sled on a router table with a dovetail bit?

Reply to
Michael

lektric dan

It's a common thing. Depending upon the length of the sliding dovetails, you may want to taper them, makes it much easier to assemble.

Reply to
dadiOH

These folks have closed down, but here is a video of jig that is well worth watching just to get some ideas for making your own router jig to do the same thing:

Swingman

Just watched the video. Great jig, but they do want a little money for it. And they're closed.

Reply to
Michael

This is what I'm after.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

No shit!!

Did you bother to read my post? You're welcome, f*ck you very much.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes typical sliding dovetails benefit from or even require a taper in one component or the other. For splines not so much because you will get gaps. However, chamfering the end of the key (male) piece can help to get it started

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Calm down now. Maybe you need a cup of coffee or maybe you need much less coffee. We all know you provided him the answer. Apparently he just likes to ask rhetorical questions, ignore all responses and provide his own answer later.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:27:11 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

You could read that two different ways. "And they're closed" could be read as his agreeing with Karl. Agreed, interpreting it that way is not what I'd call a common interpretation, but it certainly could be read as such.

Reply to
none

I bought one of these jigs and plenty of dovetails in oak, cherry, and waln ut from Mr. Kehoe some 15-20 years back at the woodworking show in Atlanta. Just had to have it. It is still in the box (unused)along with the dovetai ls. Seems he was a cowboy type from Montana, Idaho, somewhere out that way. .. working the booth by himself. Delightful old fellow. You guys ever buy a tool on impulse?

Reply to
BillinGA

Never! :-)

Reply to
Leon

I bought a biscuit joiner several years ago, a nice, handy machine that has sat virtually unused for the entire time. I finally moved the box where I wouldn't be reminded of it too often.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 07:17:40 -0500, basilisk

What, if anything, did you use in lieu of the biscuit joiner? My biscuit joiner sat virtually unused for two years the moment I bought myself a Domino. Ended up selling the joiner for $50.

I blame it all on Leon.

Reply to
none

laps, dadoes,sometimes dowels, mortices cut with router, I tried to use the plate joiner but it just seemed too insubstantial to me.

Could be, with claims floating around the internet that he is brutally handsome, he may be using his looks for salemanship.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Snopes.com doesn't have any reports (Yet!!), that the claims are false.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Meh ... Snopes? You don't need no steenking Snopes:

I would say, "devilishly", not "brutally". LOL

Reply to
Swingman

Ahhhh. There's my partner, I still remember when we met on the internet. ROTFL.

Reply to
Leon

Bawn jour!

Reply to