What is it? Set 513

Page 2 of 3
On 10/3/13 11:44 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

It appears that the scale increments are about 1/16", so it would measure the belt in increments of 1/8".
If the scale is for o-ring diameters, it comes out nicely to increments of 1mm.

I'll ask the owner of it to measure the increments to see what they are. No verifiable answer yet for the garden tool but the rest of the answers for this week have been posted.

Here is a patent applicatioin for a crack weeder tool that looks very much like the other but with no wheels. http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20130081832_01
BTW the search terms crack and weed produce some interesting results.
On 10/4/13 7:09 PM, anorton wrote:

Ah, so it's not meant to cut! It's made to pull weeds up by the roots!
On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:09:14 -0700

A couple more patents that are similar to 2992
http://www.google.com/patents/US1941548
http://www.google.com/patents/US1400627
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks Leon! Excellent job on finding these patents, the second one looks very close so I added it to my answer for this tool. I'll forward this patent on to the owner of it.

The crack weeder does look similar to the lawn edger, I think the biggest difference between the two is the weeders have more of a V shape and the edger is more rounded like a U.
On 10/4/2013 3:38 PM, Rob H. wrote:
2993 I don't see how the point of that screw could remove a primer.
"Ralph" <

Looks like the case is held only by a short notch on the side away from the pivot point. The tool point is pressed into the primer and then the case is pivoted out leaving the primer on the tool. That's how I see it anyway.... ;>)}

Yes, that's exactly how it works. It's for Berdan type primers.
Just found the patent for this cartridge loading tool:
http://www.google.com/patents/US161682

    I agree -- though it might get under the lip of the primer and crush it so it can fall out. Shotgun primers are a little more complex than those used for brass cartridges.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Not really more complex..just made slightly differently. Longer for the most part.
Gunner
"

    Neglecting the Berdan primers, part of which (the anvil) is in the brass itself, a primer for brass cartridges consists of the cup and the anvil, with the primer compound sandwiched between them.
    However -- at least for the shotgun shell primers which I have seen, there is another part -- sort of a high hat with a hole in the top which receives the cup and anvil, and fits into the base of the shell. One more part -- thus a *little* more complex. And it is this high-hat cup which the spike could get under the rim of and crush, while it would tend to just skate off the domed cup of the primer for brass cartridges. (Yes, I know that there were brass shotgun shells at one time, but I've never seen them -- and based on Wikipedia, they used primers similar to the handgun primers of the period.
    But what I remember was from the days of paper cases, and from disassembling them as a kid. I can't find a web-based sectioned image of the respective primers, and I'm not about to dive into ASCII graphics for this. :-) I think that you'll agree with my description -- unless they have changed yet again with the plastic shells used today.
    BTW -- ever set off a small pistol primer with sunlight? I did it with a plastic Fresnel lens (about 11x14" or so), and wound up with the anvil going through the corner of the Fresnel lens. :-) (I would advise safety glasses if you try it -- which I was not smart enough to wear at that age. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Ive deprimed many shotgun shells with a nail. I dont think Ive ever seen a Berdan primed one. That..would be an interesting situation.
Ive forced primers to go off both accidently and intentionally many many times...when I was much younger. I learned early, how dangerous they can be if intentionally abused.
Gunner
"

Here is the reply from the owner, the link below has a close-up of the company name.
"The tool measures in millimeters. The scale goes from 36mm to 44mm. These numbers match the actual diameter of the circle as it is enlarged. It looks to me like it measures something which has just a size variance of these 8 mm. It would need to be something that is more ridged than an o-ring or a belt. The lip in the lower part of the "calipher" is only 1/16 in. The tool measures the inside diameter of a pipe, tube,or?? The name appears to be STACO but not sure."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album18/pic2991n.jpg

I just sent Stoco an inquiry about the tool, it could be for measuring tubes:
http://stoco.ch/tubes-e.html
On 10/03/2013 01:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2990: Removable hanger bar, for a bell cart. Used in hotels.
--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net | Tunxis Design Inc.
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 01:14:51 -0700, Rob H. wrote:

2933 is, to me, reminiscent of a Whitney Punch:
<https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=whitney+punch&numP&complete=0&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=twRQUp75M4Xt0gXtw4HACA&ved C8QsAQ>
Possibly some kind of early predecessor?
--
"I am not made like anyone I have seen; I dare believe I am not made
like anyone in existence. If I am not better, at least I am different."