What is it? Set 505

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the second item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

even labeled "fine".
Bill

2945 Gouge hones. Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

Just to be clear, sometimes they're called "gouge slips".
Lloyd
Sponenburgh says...

Yes, I was going to call them cone gouge slip stones.
2944 is a match safe meant to carry wooden matches. If you look close you can see the serrated striking surface at the bottom.
Paul K. Dickman

Match safe is correct.
Rob H. wrote:

to put rings in.
2944 A match box. Looks like a striker area on the bottom.
--
 GW Ross

 You can't have everything. Where

2942 Possibly the cistern of a mercury barometer, if the unseen end is open. (wild guess). 2944 Vesta holder

Here is the owner's description of the brass cylinder:
"My concern is that it is an old IED or anti personnel mine. Solid brass. 'Plunger' moves freely (spins) however I'm not going to depress it to find out if it does anything. Threaded endcap on one end. Shaking it reveals something inside that sounds an awful lot like gun powder."

Carbide lamp vessel? Pump one shot of water in with a push of the plunger? As opposed to drip, it would require more attention, but you could more completely control it.
The "X" marks look more like certification marks than an explanation that it might explode! <G>
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

Besides, brass would be a poor choice for either a mercury vessel OR an explosive ordnance.
Lloyd

2941 Looks like a ferriers mark, probably used on the horses breast plate in show.
everything else is guessed.
2946, a water company or gas companies tool. Used for opening the lid to a meter keys to shutoff the same.
--
Jeff

Now get back to work boy! Nick.

Good guess! It is indeed for holding fireplace tools, as shown on the link at my answer for it.
No luck yet on the brass item but the rest of the answers have been posted:
Rob

Those tools seem awfully short for fireplace tools. The ones I've seen are at least twice that long. Perhaps it is for a kitchen stove? Or maybe something that burns coal and not wood? Art
Artemus wrote:

Comment: Whoever stamped X (five times) on #2942 really meant business! I'm still leaning toward "vehicle fire extinguisher", but I'm darn curious to know the truth! Maybe it was for a boat or motorcycle? That still doesn't explain the depth of the X's (5 of them)
Bill

I'm with you on the size though not on its purpose.
It's a dead ringer for something I saw on a relative's bar in the 70's.

They do seem short for a fireplace, but most all of the ones that I've found on the web say they are fireplace tools. I looked for an old advertisement but didn't find one.
The photo was shot in an antique mall, where numerous small items are displayed on any flat surface available, so I don't think the knight is related to the Tappan stove, it just happened to be placed there.
I didn't see any similar knights with bar tools, maybe someone re-purposed one for their bar.

Thanks, that's an excellent link! I just added it to my answer.