What is it? Set 475

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the last item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

I think 2766 is a critcial part of a "needle valve". I have no furtherinfo about it.
Bill

The person who sent me the photo was given this item by someone who challenged him to see if he could find out what it is. The challenger knows the answer and when asked if it was part of a valve, he said it was not.

Is the challenger ever going to confess?
I hate answering these things since I'm usually wrong but I swear to god, I had that in my hand one time. Exactly the same thing, the 2 o-rings, the plastic hub thing.
I've been racking my brain trying to remember but I'm sort of sure it's actually a hinge of sorts.
I think a metal rod goes into the white cap thing, the o-rings are just for tension for the cap and the cone end fits into a pocket, like a peice of wood or something.
I just keep associating it with something I was putting together, like a desk or drawer assembly, maybe from IKEA.
It was used for a flap or something, to give it a smooth feel while it was being lifted.
Even if I'm totally off, it's from some common household item, not some tool that 5 of was made or anything like that.
So I'm saying it's a hinge.
-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

I'm going to revise my answer a bit.
It's still a hinge of sorts but what I think it's from is a blind assembly of sorts.
The next door neighbor has a Subaru wagon and in the rear compartment there is a detachable blind of sorts. It's meant to hide anything you have back there.
Besides pulling out like a ventian blind, it's also detachable and I think that is what the cones are for. The cone ends snap into a couple of nylon holders and that white plastic part is connected to a rod which connects to the spring/lock mechanism. The whole part squeezes into a hollow tube.
Either that or the visor assembly for the driver/passenger sun blinds.
So I'm sticking with "hinge" but for automotive use rather than furniture.
But I'm sure now, it's from a blind assembly.
-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

I'll send your ideas to the guy trying to figure it out and will post his reply when I receive it.
I heard back from the guy trying to solve this item, the challenger said that it's not part of a hinge or car partition blind.

The person who was challenged sounded like he was determined to find an answer, no matter if it takes all year. I figure we'll get the answer sooner or later.

It's not entirely dissimilar to the working end of a solder sucker.
On Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:11:03 AM UTC-6, Dr Nick wrote:

I don't know what a solder sucker is, but sucker seems in tune with some of my wonderings.
At first I was thinking stent, but then realized I meant to think shunt. Also, when I first saw it, I thought of the company/manufacturer Honeywell... not sure why (green color code?).
It's not a "valve" that closes completely. It seems, maybe, to be a slow release "valve" for something: Fluid, gas, pressure, ???. Some shunts, in the medical field, operate using slow release "valves" that are/will never completely close. Also, shunts disallow back flow.
Considering the products derived in the space program, and used in other fields, maybe this is some kind of aerospace shunt type valve. Depending on where the owner is, or where the item was obtained... a souvenir part left over from the Space Shuttle program, that has a specific important function/"mission". These leftover parts are collectors items, no matter how menial they may seem.
Sonny

The guy said the item is uncommon, has a very specific function, and is available for purchase online.
Rob H. wrote:

2762 Werner makes ladders. Maybe you could use it to contruct an A-frame ladderfrom two extension (straight) ladders?
Bill
On 1/10/2013 4:28 AM, Bill wrote:

Your correct Bill, these ship with the Werner ladders that fold and telescope. This is so you can break them down into two separate A-frames. Think I've used my set once since I bought the ladder 5+ years ago.
2761 Is a capstan.
On 1/10/2013 4:03 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Capstan is correct.

Note the ratchet pawls at the base to hold rope tension.

Good eye! I didn't notice the ratchet pawls.
2763 Is the tip of a ceremonial halberd. In the 17th century, rich, pompous, ostentatious people might show off when giving a social affair by having a bunch of guys standing around in fancy dress holding sticks with these on the ends acting like guards. Also used in hollywood costume dramas as a herald bangs the bottom of the stick on the floor and announces arriving guests.
On 1/10/2013 4:03 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Yes, it's a halbard flag staff finial, this one was used by Civil War infantry.
I need some help with the last item this week:

2765 Hmmm... No provision to dispose of or collect scrap suggests occasional rather than repetitive use. Steel cutter against a brass back-up block suggests cutting something like leather. Perhaps this was used in a harness-maker's shop to shape the ends of leather straps.