What is it? Set 446

Page 1 of 2
A new set has been posted on the web site:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2589 - A bowling ball rack?
Didn't the page say it was six inches long?
Further look, and I was oops. Six feet. Well, in that case, the bowling ball rack is okay.
2589 - A bowling ball rack?

Correct

#2591 Does it have a thermostatic nature? Like on an emergency fire-sprinkler system?
#2592 A dead center for a lathe (providing a "quick release")?
Bill

#2587 Looks like the flat part is a lever which pulls the hammer back and sets the trigger. I'm not sure about the two pieces on the barrel unless they somehow form a "sight" for the gun.
2588- Bitters bottles? http://www.antiquebottles.com/bitters/barrels.html

Bottles for bitters is right.

My bet my Great Uncle Jed knew that before he..... well, you know....

I don't have experience with bitters, as Uncle Jed may have had, but I do have a 4000+ count bottle collection (or a collection of bottles, depending on who you ask). I don't search or collect any more, as that was a hobby starting during high school days. My collection is mostly boxed and stashed away, now. Lots of interesting aspects of knowing and collecting bottles. Those times were fun.
Not too long ago, I gave some bottles to an elderly friend, whose 6' bottle tree was blown over by a storm.... the post had rotted at the bottom. I brought her a 15' long old sinker cypress, 5" top-8" bottom diameter log and fixed her up with lots of spikes for holding lots more bottles. Her lawn decor is really nice and she's delighted with her new bottle tree. ....Which reminds me, I'm due to go visit her.
And speaking of more bottles, today, I'm cleaning canning jars and doing other preps, for picking and canning figs and fig jam, tomorrow.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

My brother used to add strawberry flavor and some red color to his fig jam and pretend it was strawberry jam. Pretty good, though.
--
G.W. Ross

Every hero becomes a bore at last.

Strawberry jello. About 2 or 3 packs per dishpan of figs will give the not so overpowering strawberry flavor (I like to taste the figs' flavor, also) and slightly reddish color. Use the over-ripe figs for the jam, as they mash best for the creamy jam texture. Some folks peel their figs, before cooking, which also helps when mashing them. *Add the jello just before the figs are done (ready for canning), just as regular jello is prepared, i.e, add the jello to the hot water for jello.... add the jello to the cooked figs 1 minute before filling the jars, stir it in well. If you wait more than 1 minute, to start filling your jars, the jello will start setting up and you'll have some problems filling the jars quickly enough, before the rest of the mash, remaining in the dishpan, starts setting up, too. Either have some help to fill jars, when cooking a dishpan at a time, or if alone, cook half a dishpan at a time, so you'll have time to get things done before it starts jelling.
Sonny

How does one go about determining the age of a bottle?
-Zz

Surely you jest, with a question as that? There are a number of ways, if the bottle, like the older Coca Cola bottles, doesn't have a date (and place of make) embossed (raised) on the bottom. Clear glass starts to turn blueish, after about 75 yrs, with exposure to UV light. Some old bottles are blown whole, whereas later bottles were made from molds.... 2 halves of the body, the top seperate and bottom seperate..... and you can see the seperate seams. Newest bottles are 2 halves only. Older Avon bottles are pretty special, ie., unique designs and designs are date specific. Makers change their design, so those changes are date specific. Makers go out of business (date specific). Businesses had bottles made specifically for them, and they no longer exist, so those bottles are date specific. All sorts of ways to determine age.
Sonny
2587 The flat part is for hooking the pistol on your waistband. The two pieces at the front used to capture the ramrod. They should have a small block between them that had a hole the ramrod could slide through.
Paul K. Dickman

Paul has this right. The design is similar to a Scottish Highland pistol. However, that has got to be one of the crudest and ugliest pistols I've ever seen. What's the story on it?

You have the right idea but not 100% correct.

Yes, they were used to hold a ramrod, I guess the holder was broken, the ramrod can be seen just above the gun.

    Then the hole in the front of the trigger guard is likely tapped to hold the thread of the ramrod.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
2587: Flat piece is a putty mixer. The two hooks are for coats, or hats. The flintolock pistol belonged to an English butler. 2588: probably patent medicines, with a lot of laudanum. 2589: storage rack for something. But what? 2590: Totally no clue. 2591: I've never seen one of these. And, I've had a lot of things apart. 2592: Totally no clue.
A new set has been posted on the web site:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2592, A flaring tool that is hammer driven.