What is it? Set 442

Page 2 of 2

    Oops -- I didn't get to usenet last night -- too much time fighting with a drafting program for a project I'm building. :-
    So -- I'd better post my opinions before I read anyone else's.
2563)    My guess here is that they are metallurgical samples for     analysis by some process or other -- microscopic or other.
    The sample is cast in the epoxy (I think rather than Bakelite),     identification is scratched into one end of the cylinder, and     the other is machined and then polished to expose the metal     samples for study. Not sure whether it is simply sanded or     lapped to provide the needed surface finish. It looks as though     most of the samples were extrusions, so I suspect that grain     structure was being examined using perhaps a phase contrast     microscope.
2564)    Given the U-bend in each of the cross pieces, I suspect that     this was a support for either a flexible pipe or for electrical     cables. This sort of thing (usually metal) is typically used in     the between the floors spaces in multi-story buildings. (The     ones which I have experienced are not quite tall enough to allow     walking upright even without all the pipes, cables, air     conditioning ducts and such which crowd the space
    Not sure why this one is made mostly of wood, and why in the     middle of a more gentile environment. :-)
2565)    Perhaps the handle for a beer dispensing tap. The large end     (which we don't see end on) would hold a medallion to identify     the beer and the brewery.
2566)    Looks to me like something for smoothing concrete.
2567)    Perhaps something for analyzing the purity of the ore mined?     Not sure why the crown spikes.
2568)    I think that this is a handle (key) for turning on and off power     using a switch with a recessed actuator to prevent the general     public from switching things on and off.
    O.K. Now to stop and send this before I go on to read the now exposed answers.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
442 also one of B&D's best routers but poorest sellers. See left of ensemble: