What is it? Set 439

Page 1 of 3
I need help with three of the items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2246 Used to demonstrate the electroysis of water;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
fp8VtcrSA
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

Thanks, I'll pass this on to the guy who sent it to me.

HEY! What happened to my three-page diatribe on it, which preceded this one?
I even explained how to use it! (which I have done)
<G>
Lloyd

Actually that was a pretty good description of it, though Stuart posted his answer three hours earlier and my usual m.o. is to reply only to the first one to get it correct. I'll include your description with my reply to the owner. Thanks

Stuart cut in line!
As to the electrolysis rig, I did a bit of diatribbling also.

HEY! What happened to my three-page diatribe on it, which preceded this one?
I even explained how to use it! (which I have done)
<G>
Lloyd

Hmmm... are we all posting on different groups?
I was the first to post on rcm about it, according to the flow of the thread. Even the times were right. How can two other people post hours before I do, and still show my post as the first one? (no, not according to time zones, but by Gtime.)
This puts some dissapointment factor in bothering to respond, if you don't at least get Rob's "reward" when you're right and first.
Lloyd

At what time did you send your reply? When I look at rcm your reply is the 6th one from the top.

Boy, I wish I could confirm that. According to my posting, it was the very first post for that item. My news server won't let me retrieve more than about two or three hours' worth of already-read posts. So I guess my claim is moot.
I'll check next time I throw in a guess (no... I'm NOT quitting! <G>), and make sure I have the statistics.
I'm guessing this is a news server update issue. Probably my server - and many others - only update periodically and maybe infrequently, and miss stuff between the time some posts are made, and the time they send forward the messages.
Your contribution here is fun. I wouldn't just take my marbles and go home because of something this trivial. I was just "beefin'".
LLoyd

Well, if I look at an unthreaded view sorted by Order Received I see the following posters/times
Rob H (OP) 5/3 3:14AM Stuart 4:29AM Alexander Thesoso 5:04 "" 5:15 Storm 5:27 Leon 7:07 Lloyd 7:45 Dave_67 7:58 ... ...
If I thread the view, then your 7:45 response that identifies it shows up as a response to Leon just ahead of you in the time queue.
In this case it appears that Stu was both the first respondent overall as well as the first to identify the electrolysis apparatus.
nntp is by definition not a lossless protocol; the dissemination is on a more or less ad hoc basis although most servers do eventually get most articles there's no guarantee they will receive them in the order they were submitted altho the date stamp will remain. And, of course, there's no checking that the posters' various clocks are in synch, either.
I generally use the 'Order received' date instead of date for a sort and a threaded view as that tends to keep the threading more consistent but for the above statistics it's strictly ascending order of the article date for the thread...
So, Stu did beat you out, clearly...better luck next time. :)
(BTW, who the h-hockey sticks is up at 3 and 4 AM? I'm farming and I'm not around that soon... :) I guess if I were milking I might be; thank goodness for at least small favors it's not a dairy.)

No denying that... like I said, "just beefin'", which, as a farmer, you'd understand. (posting from cattle country, where the 'girls' in the cow-calf operation usually wake me up before the clock does).
LLoyd
On 5/4/2012 5:37 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

Well, around here is where they end up...
<http://kansasfeedyards.com/directory.htm
And that's a very small listing of the total...the closest to the house isn't listed w/ their capacity of about 27K on feed. They're about 3 mi east and a mile north to the office/feed mill area; the bunks run a full mile N-S and south end abuts the north side of the east quarter.
National Beef has one packing facility in town and two more in the SW corner; one in Dodge and another in Garden. Excel has another faciity in Dodge as well.
Seaboard has a large hog facility about 45 mi away in the OK panhandle so there are a lot of pig finishers around as well.
We historically ran heifers on wheat pasture and milo stubble over the winter and sold them as stockers in the spring w/ the exception of the few hundred kept and fed out in our own small operation while farmed during the summer months. Then started over in the fall. Dad retired before I came back and the change in the markets have essentially closed the small operations out except for those that want to feed a few for private sale. I've chosen to stay out being at almost retirement age meself...
<http://findlotsize.com/?place7.040%2C-100.825
That'll put you right at the north side of the feedlot. If you really zoom in, you can probably count 'em... :)

You can't stay out here. According to one estimate (a few years ago), North-Central Florida was the second largest beef cattle producer in the country. We're thick with 'em. I have 20 acres ("retirement farm") and 14 acres of it runs in cow-calf. Three of the remaining six is in sod- cutting production.
If you've got _any_ land at all here, it's in cows or grass or cabbage or potatoes (about in that order). 'Can't afford the taxes, otherwise.
Lloyd
On 5/4/2012 7:38 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

Yeah, but it rains down there... :)
14A here wouldn't support a scrawny cow, what more a cow-calf operation. :)
If you zoomed out and panned around a little, you'll have seen it's almost all farm country except for the area on either side of the river breaks that is native range grassland and quite a lot is irrigated.
The circles right around the feedlot are alfalfa for their use; in the overall picture most of the irrigated ground is corn. We're dryland wheat and milo production and grass. We have 7 quarters of own and operator on the grass for landlords of another 4. That makes us pretty-much small potatoes any more around here.

And here we run about one per acre. I share a gate with a neighbor's 15 acres, and we run 23 head between the two fields.
I guess rain makes a diff... no?
LLoyd
On 5/4/2012 8:24 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

Just a little... :) Also makes a big difference that it's warm year-round down there, too. Grandparents on one side went to the TX valley back in the 30s and did the early citrus and truck farming down there while the other side stuck it out thru the Dirty-30s here.
We've been thru two years of severe drought up until February we caught a nice snow a rain that saved the winter wheat that had managed to hang on. We then got another 2" in late March/early April and it looked really good until about 10 days or so ago. We've been terribly hot for this early (95F today for example) and it's really fading fast. They've cut our chances w/ the next front over the weekend down to almost nothing and if so another week w/o good rain and it'll be done. :(
On 5/4/2012 5:37 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

I've been getting a group of coyotes every morning for about the last six months that are pretty regular and earlier than I would be otherwise...then the pheasants start their wakeup... :)

Yeah... I hate those damn things. They take a new calf about once year. Since you don't know for sure when a cow's going to drop, sometimes it happens at night.
They're all over this part of Florida. Lloyd
On 5/5/2012 9:07 AM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

What's wrong w/ pheasants? :)