What is it? Set 438

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2539 Piano Keys 2540 Jar Opener 2541 Fishing Rod Holder 2542 Spring Wire 2543 Fireman's Axe 2544
Robert

Nope
Good job, looks like this is correct

I thought it might be something else but it seems like this is the right answer.

Rob, this is _definitely_ correct. I still have one my Dad left me from his boat.
Lloyd
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:36:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Your dad? Heck, I bought some new myself. <g>
I hated them. Better designs came along later.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:

Yeah the open end and hole allows the rod to bounce around if you use them on a boat. I like the coil style for shore fishing and simple tube style on the boat.
--
Steve W.

Rob
2539 Heavy duty drum sticks - maybe for a 44 gallon drum
2543 True Temper Fire Axe Kelly Standard Works - Hunt Pattern 36" one 4 sale here http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Temper-Fire-Axe-Kelly-Standard-Works-/230720951951
Steve
2544 Guess... Saw set?
On 4/26/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

My guess too , and I think it's for use with a back saw .
2539 looks like a pair of gouge chisels for hollowing out wooden stuff . Maybe bowls or spoons ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps

#2540 To prevent a small pan (of about the same diameter) from falling through the pot-hole on an old stove?
Bill

Nope, that's not it.

Not quite correct but you're in the right ballpark.

look more like tenon cutters. Used with a froe or mallet.
Lloyd

That's not how they were described at the auction where I saw them.
On 4/26/2012 6:04 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

If this hasn't already been given, the items in #2541 are Fishing rod holders, to be used when fishing--especially off the side of a boat, or equivalent.
One or a couple of these, a portable chair, and a can holder, and you might even forget you're supposed to be fishing. :)
Bill

Good guess, it is indeed a saw set.
On Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:02:08 AM UTC-4, Rob H. wrote:

2539 - Inshaves or scorps, used to hollow a wooden bowl. These have a wooden depth limiter that prevents the cut from going too deep, thus taking off too much wood on any single pass to handle.
2543 - a fireman's axe.
On Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:02:08 AM UTC-4, Rob H. wrote:

2539 - Inshaves or scorps, used to hollow a wooden bowl, chair seat, spoon, etc. Any concave surface. The relatively small radius suggests these were used for small bowls. Note the wooden depth limiter that prevents the cut from going too deep, thus taking off too much wood on any single pass to handle.
2543 - a fireman's axe.
John
All of the others are probably tools used to tighten fences. :)

2542: Those look just like the brush wires that break off on a street sweeper. We used them for throwing knives when I was a kid.
--
Ed Huntress

2539: Clobberers 2540: Handle 2541: Fishing pole holders 2542: Concrete slab. Somebody left some rebar laying on it 2543: Fireman's axe 2544: Device for putting a bent-over lip on a disk

2544 is used to set teeth on a circular saw.