What is it? Set 421

Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2439. Peg for glass insulator on telephone pole. For the electric line of course.

Correct
Rob H. wrote:

2437 - Looks an awful lot like one of the clamps used on our OLD stabilization tools. The serrated jaw clamps to whatever, then you use the open eye on the end to secure it using rope at an angle.
2438 - Darley Crash Axe.
2439 - Glass insulator mount (Patented in 1865 by Louis Cauvet) The pins are nice but the glass is worth money..
2440 - Nice parlor stove.
2441 -
2442 - old lever action hoist I think
--
Steve W.

It looks like it might be Dutch from late 1700s-early 1800s, if I recognise the type of designs.
The Dutch cast iron stoves were very popular with the ruling class of the American Colonies during the mid-to-late 1700's -- They made all sorts of styles from grand to plain, but most had decorated castings.
Many had 'trick' openings and heat exchangers to maximize the way they heated your room.
Lloyd

The patent has a different description of it

Crash axe is definitely correct, not sure if it's a Darley.

Yes
Nope
Close but not correct, I'm looking for a more specific answer as mentioned in the patent
Rob H. wrote:

Not surprising. The fire service has a way of grabbing things and using them for unintended uses.

I think there is at least three companies that sell them. Mine is a Darley and looks just like that one. (little bit more wear though)

Hmm, wonder if the maker used the same castings for other items.

Oh sure, you want what the maker intended again ;-)
You know one thing I have noticed with patents. None of them have warnings about what can happen if you use the item wrong. It all seems to end up in the lap of the company that write the instructions....
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:
[snip]

Really? These things are a couple of bucks apiece at practically every antique/collectible/junk shop. I think there's some law requiring a bin of these things be present in every junk shop as a condition of licensing.
On 12/29/2011 4:42 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2441 - tent peg 2442 - load binder
2437 Bartenders towel holder, also clamps to a towel rack 2438 Swedish fire axe. Trust the Swedes to make a modern looking design. 2439 Barrel plug from the 1800s 2440 coal burning stove 2441 "piton" for rock climbing. This was driven into cracks in the rock, and a rope tied on. 2442, early version of a "come along" tool, or chain hoist.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I don't know the answer for this item but I think it's too thick to be a piton.

2440: I believe it's an old coal-fired water heater.
I swear I've seen one like it in one of the old Audel books -- specifically used to feed a radiator in an automobile garage to provide heat without the danger of fire, and also a similar one to provide hot water in a barber shop.
Northe

Correct, it was marked 'antique water heater'.

Just found out that it's actually gas powered, circa 1915.

    Natural gas, or gasoline? (I hope not the latter. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Around 1915... Coal Gas = Water Gas = Illuminating Gas I still remember the introduction of modern, high-energy, non-poisonous natural gas.

2437)    That is big -- and nasty looking. Lots of leverage with that     built-in wrench.
    At a guess, it is intended to couple planks to a pipe structure     for building scaffolds.
2438)    A modern Tomahawk?
    Perhaps for removing tough underbrush? (How sharp is that     edge?)
2439)    Looks like something designed to adapt tubular steel (perhaps     steel conduit?) screw into a pushbroom.
2440)    Fire goes in the bottom, combustion products exit at top     center, perhaps some foodstuffs live in the top section to keep     them warm or even to cook them?
    If it were smaller in all dimensions, and had some other     fittings, I would say that it looked like what I remember using     to heat the water for a bath. You poured kerosene into     the bottom, lit a circular wick, and the heat passed through     about four or eight paralleled sections of coiled pipe to heat     water in the pipe. It would rise (by convection, and flow into     the top of a taller tank behind it, and cold (or cooler) water     would flow into the bottom to replace what just exited. After     perhaps a half hour there was enough hot water in the tank to     fill the bathtub to a reasonable temperature. I don't remember     any pressure relief valves on it, but then I was a kid and     wouldn't notice such back then. The house passed out of the     family group about 1980 I think, to it almost certainly has been     replaced -- along with the ball-footed bathtub which was     connected to it.
2441)    Rusty iron, or some wood flavor?
    If iron, likely something to adjust the height of a rack,     perhaps for cooking large chunks of meat.
2442)    Load binder chain tensioner?
2443)    -- nope, not there until next week. :-)
    So -- I'll post this, and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail