What is it? Set 407

Page 1 of 3
I need some help with the unusual metal box in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob
2356 Portable Seismograph 2358 Tank track for road use.
Steve

I wonder if its for solar radiation logging?

Yes, the owner said it was used to measure the amount of sunshine on a daily basis.

Correct, from an M-48 tank.

2353. Corn Sheller? 2355. Very small Drag Harrow. 2358. Caterpillar or tank track shoes. Karl

and deep for human power, but not as big or deep as one drawn by a tractor.
A piece is broken off. It looks as if it was hitched with no "hinge" to allow turning. Steering the towing vehicle would put a lot of stress on the plow.
I wonder if it was for a two-wheeled garden tractor. The rigid hitch would help keep the tractor straight if one wheel lost traction. To turn, you would raise the plow by tipping the tractor forward.
On 9/22/2011 7:57 PM, J Burns wrote: ...

It does have a chisel-type point.
I don't see anything broken; it's missing at least the matching section (or several sections).
It was in all likelihood from the hitch initially horse/mule-pulled. There's a set of holes; I'm guessing there would have been connection to the lift mechanism.
This is fairly old; cast tool shanks didn't last long--they were too brittle.
It's also pretty small; would have been a specialty crop or garden rather than large-scale cultivation use.
Is unique; I've not seen anything much like it and couldn't decipher anything useful from the casting marks, unfortunately.
On 9/22/11 9:16 PM, dpb wrote:

The arm extending to the right on the far side would be way off center. It looks as if an arm on the near side broke off. If it were connected by the two arms and links to the two holes farther to the left, that could make a rigid connection to whatever was pulling it.

Gerry's link shows drawings of mule-drawn cultivators. They use a one-point hitch and a wheel to control the depth.
In my experience with a couple of tillers, I needed to use the handles to control the depth because the mechanical controller could sink into the soft soil. Using the handles to control depth required a rigid connection between the tiller part and the tractor part.

vegetables on several acres. It was decades later that I saw my first rototiller. I think theirs had a chisel plow, which would have been cheaper.
Here's a walking tractor with six tines on the rear and four on the front.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJZ14RT7Bg

Here's one plowing. The possibilities depend on the weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3TWSgegaw

the hills, offset to work close to the plants while the horse stayed in the center of the row. it was guided by the operator walking behind by means of handles similar to a plow fastened to the raised potions toward the front. each row got two passes then the pattern was rotated 90 degrees so that each hill was worked on four sides. See: http://pilgrim.ceredigion.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid07 Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Rob H. wrote:

2353 - What show were you at?
2354 - remote sensor box?
2355 - part of an arrow foot cultivator unit.
2356 -
2357 -
2358 - look like M48 tank track sections but 32" would be too wide unless that includes the pins. the 48 ran 28" treads
--
Steve W.

I've seen dyslexia, but never INVERTIA.
MAX pressure... It's a reservoir for pressurizing cable housings.
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Yup , keeps ground water out of the underground telephone cable sheathing .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 9/22/11 8:09 AM, Snag wrote:

Who grinds water nowadays?
J Burns wrote:

I do if it's cold enough . Makes great snocones !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

    That is "max" not "wax" -- Maximum (safe) pressure.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

These photos were shot at the Greensburg, Indiana tractor show a few weeks ago, I usually have good luck finding stuff there.
Ted Schuerzinger wrote:

That's 'MAX'.

2354. Wiring or repeater housing for telephony or rail signalling cables, probably a repeater housing. Its presurised with N2 or air, when the associated in-ground cables are cut/nicked the leaking gas stops water ingress. Low pressure switches are installed to provide alarm contacts to alert technicians that the cable pressure has fallen. One system was called CPAS - "cable pressure alarm system". Pressure also keeps water out of the housing.
2356. Records solar radiation intensity.
2358. Vehicle tracks - earthmoving or military.

I saw this when I was driving in the country a few weeks ago, I never see them in the city, maybe there they are all underground.
No verifiable answer yet for the metal box but the rest of the answers have all been posted: