What is it? Set 389

Page 2 of 2

No comment since it's in the Neatorama collaboration.

Correct
On 5/19/11 4:18 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2246 If you have to pull something on a rope with an eye on the end, it can be easier if you stick a rod through the eye to use as a handle. Used as a handle to pull a rope, this tool would keep the rope midway between the hands.

I'm thinking that this is probably correct but haven't been able to find any proof. Someone sent me the photo from Europe, not sure if these were also used in the U.S.
The rest of them were answered correctly this week, the answers for this set can be seen here:
If anyone is interested there are a number of rope making videos on youtube, but I didn't really like any of them enough to post one on the site.
Rob

    Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2245)    Looks like a container for "baking out" some piece of equipment,     while in a vacuum.
    The heat is suggested by the metal mesh padding, and the vacuum     by the O-ring sealing the closure of the container, the complex     leverage for locking it closed, and the fitting to left of     center on the front. The fact that the container appears to be     stainless steel supports both the vacuum and the high     temperature application.
2246)    This one looks like it is intended to have a line (rope)     belayed to the central cleat and a single individual pulling on     both handles for a really strong pull without being exposed to     the friction burns of the raw hemp rope.
2247)    To be honest -- no idea. Perhaps a lever for the brakes     on a wagon? Kind of small, though.
    The "clue" doesn't help me.
2248)    A pick-up grabber for something -- perhaps trash and debris in     a sewer or something similar?
    Looks like squeeze the handles to open the grippers, relase to     close them.
2249)    Looks like an intermediate piece in a ship's (or smaller     sailboat) rigging -- perhaps for the backstays on a gaff rigged     sailboat.
2250)    Rather large bore, which suggests that it is either a flare gun     (though those which I have seen have been more of a pistol     style), or for heaving the end of a line to another ship.
    Now off to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"Rob H." wrote in message
I need some help with the second one this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2250 may be a line gun, for shooting a heaving line at sea.
Steve R.