What is it? Set 379

Page 1 of 2
Yet another set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/03/set-379.html
Rob
For the third week, I have no useful guesses. While 2185 is some kind of automobile accessory lamp, but I have no useful guess about its specific function.
So why am I posting this? When I saw 2188, I burst out laughing. Many years ago, I saw a cartoon. I don't remember where, possibly the New Yorker. I also don't remember the cartoonist, but it was someone well-known. Possibly Larsen or Chas Addams. The cartoon was of a Dog Carrier. I think that was the caption. A guy was carrying a dog, by a handle, with a hook in the dog's mouth and a screw clamp stuck in the other end. Exactly like the top two things in the picture.
On 3/10/2011 5:58 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

2188 early cat carrier http://www.motifake.com/the-cat-carrier-demotivational-posters-13326.html

2186-- for baling hay???
Bill

Nope, if you look closely at the patent seen in the photo you can see it's for use with something smaller than a hay bale.

Generally correct

Sounds like a good use for it!

2185. Mechanic's or motorist's lamp powered off the cigarette lighter socket.
--
Dave Baker

Dave Baker wrote:

2189: Guess: A choke (part of carburation) for an antique tractor.
Bill

Looks a lot like it might be somewhat related to the old, naphtha fueled blow torch. The slanted part being the torch itself, feeding the hot fuel air mixture into the main body with many slots to release the flammable mixture to the flame area. the small basin below the main portion being the pan to hold raw liquid fuel which is ignited to pre-heat the torch. I suspect that this assembly was provided with a burner grate to support a lead pot as used by plumbers when assembling cast iron "bell and spigot" pipe. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

2185: an auto trouble lamp you plug it into the parking lamp socket

Or the cigar lighter hole...
LLoyd

Could be Lloyd, but it appears there is a lug on the side of the plug, therefore, I do not think it would be suitable for a cigarette lighter socket
On 3/10/2011 7:42 AM, George W Frost wrote:

2185: Trouble light used in older multi-engined aircraft. Think WWII era.

Correct, I was told it was for use by an auto mechanic and that it was plugged into a light socket. I had asked him if you could plug it into the cigarette lighter but he said it was used before cars had lighters in them. Don't know when cars first got lighters and if that is true or not. I'm sure it could have been used on airplanes as someone else suggested.
Rob
On 3/10/2011 5:58 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2183 is actually a fly box for holding a fisherman's "wet" flies, not "dry flies" as the mechanism would smash the hackle on dry flies. Wet flies are flat.
Bill

Looks like you're right, half way down the page at the link below I found this quote:
"Individual dry fly compartments each has its own spring-loaded window. Wet fly Clips will not rust."
http://www.herndonrods.com/wheatley_fly_boxes.htm
Thanks
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

I thought about this one til it hurt! : )
2187 -- A key???
Bill

Good guess, key is correct. Tough set this week, no answer yet for the large metal device or the two wooden tools. The rest of the answers can be seen here:
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

The small tool above the C clamp in 2188 looks like an rpm measurement tool. You would push the end of the device onto the end of a shaft and the dial on the side would spin and record revolutions. With a stopwatch you could determine rpm.
John
John wrote:

Here is a picture of one.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/starrett-no-104-speed-indicator