What is it? Set 376

Page 2 of 3
On 02/17/2011 06:17 PM, Rob H. wrote:

One hand feeds beans (green beans, snap beans, etc.) into the front. The other hand pulls the trigger to cut said beans, bean segments flow down the handle and land in bowl.
technomaNge

Not correct but your guess is in the right ballpark.
Rob
2171 Shelling peas?
CYA Steve

Nope
Rob H. wrote:

The tool was used for opening the large metal orange juice or tomato juice cans. It would punch a hole in the top of the can by pulling the trigger.
John

That's not it.
"Rob H." wrote:

Is it for making melon balls? Cutting melons into round shapes for fruit salads.
-jim

It isn't for use on melons.

So Rob is 2171 an oil can opener and spout?

It isn't for use with oil cans, it's more of a kitchen tool.

I just changed my answer for the germination trays to read:
These are vintage germination trays for testing corn kernels. Each farmer saved some of the best ears at harvest time for next year's seed. Up to 10 kernels were removed from each ear and along with a damp piece of cloth one kernel was placed into each of the small pockets (notice 10 pockets per board). These kernels were kept damp and warm until they germinated. Probably any ear that had less than 90% germination was sent back to the crib to be livestock food. Those ears that had 90% and above were shelled and this was the seed he planted. The kernels with sprouts that came out of the trays were fed to the chickens.
I knew the trays were for starting seeds but didn't realize they were used just for testing, one of my friends who was a farmer sent me the correct answer.
Rob

DRAT!!
I figured it was a shipping container for the rough metric equivalent of a gross of ping-pong balls.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2167)    Two likely choices:
    1)    Lock for an old rotary phone dial to prevent         unauthorized outgoing calls.
    2)    Trigger lock for a firearm. (Much less likely.)
2168)    The handle of a wire-wrap gun -- missing the bit, and the     chuck which should be on the upper-right-hand end to accept     the bit.
    The bit is two pieces.
    A thin rod with a hole a little off center in the end, and     a long groove the diameter of the wire (30 gauge). There is     usually a wider section of the groove near the tip to accept a     bit of wire insulation, to start the wrap with a strain relief.
    And -- an outer sleeve, which holds the wire in the slot, and     acts as a bearing.
    Likely brand on the label missing from the area near the     upper-right-hand (with a screw end visible in the triangular     area) would be Gardnier Denver (sp?) -- though others made     similar tools once the patent expired.
2169)    This looks like a somewhat modified (e.g. the cross bar in     the second photo air bearing spindle for an end-mill sharpening     fixture. One angle is adjusted by the double hockey puck     assembly where it mounts to the grinder's table. Another angle     and the height by the nut around the air hose fitting.
    There is a spindle missing which goes in the bronze sleeve. Air     is fed to the fitting, and this causes the spindle to float away     from contact with the bronze sleeve, allowing it to move with     very little friction.
    Also missing is the tool and cutter grinder to which it normally     is mounted.
2170)    Set-top control box for an antenna rotator -- back before     everything came via cable. :-) The giveaway is the compass     directions marked on the dial. Note that North is at both ends,     marking the limits of rotation of the antenna. (You don't want     to wind up the antenna cable around the pole. :-)
2171)    A really puzzling one. (The only one in this week's set about     which I really don't have a clue.)
    I can't tell about the end of the "grip", but it sort of looks     like that was made from a single piece of fairly narrow steel     strap, folded at the end after being half-circle curved.
    Maybe it makes a noise when the trigger is pulled. An     alternative, for which I can't see any reall support, would be     as a flint striker for lighting gas torches (oxy-acetylene for     example).
2172)    This looks like it is designed to hold a set of collets for some     machine tool. But it could be a bunch of other things as well.
    I guess that it could even hold eggs on end. 100 of them. But     I would expect the holes to be beveled to provide a softer     contact surface to the eggs.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2167: Easy! A lock and key.
2168: A pop-rivet gun?
2172: A sample/specimen tray of some kind? Missing the jars or vials.
Rob H. wrote:

2168 - wire wrap gun, missing the "nozzle." 2170 - antenna rotator indicator
Rob H. wrote:

Geez! Do you people get up at 00:01 AM to answer these things?
;-) Rich

2171. Is this for removing the eyes from potatoes? The slot in the other end of the tool might be for peeling.
--
Dave Baker

That's right! The patent says it's for extracting eyes from potatoes or pineapples, also for removing stems and leaves from apples, etc.
Haven't been able to confirm any of the guesses for the machine shop device but the rest of them have been answered correctly, check out the link below for the answers along with a video and some links:
Rob

" 2167. This is a lock for an old telephone dial, a photo of one locked onto a dial can be seen here, although it should be attached to the first hole, not the last."
Rob, here in OZ, we had the telephone dial and the lock was put in the last hole "0", for that way, anyone could use the phone for local calls, but for interstate calls, the number would be preceded with the "0", thus no interstate calls could be made on the boss's time and telephone, and as we all know, the interstate calls cost an arm and a leg as they were connected manually by a telephonist.