What is it? Set 373

Page 1 of 3
A new set of photos has been added to the web site:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/01/set-373.html
Rob

2153 is a church candle lighter upper and putter outer
"George W Frost" wrote in message

2153 is a church candle lighter upper and putter outer
They don't have electric lights? :)
Steve R.
2150 If I were a customs official, and had to mark wooden crates as having been taxed, this might be a handy tool.
On 1/27/2011 5:10 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Sounds like a good use for it! I agree that it was probably used to make impressions in wood.
Rob
Wild guesses....
2149 - A device for folding successive folds in a long band of pliable material.... similar to the way Roman shades (window shades) are successively folded. The dials - possibly for creating successively larger (graduated) folds and/or multiple sections of different size folds.
2152 - A tool for aligning offset or nonaligned holes, so plates can be bolted together.... i.e., early steel frame construction.
Sonny

That sounds reasonable. Or leather? For hides, maybe the hammer head could be dipped in ink, to temporarily tattoo a raw hide.
Sonny
On 1/27/2011 11:25 AM, Sonny wrote:

How about marking a (cooling) steel ingot. Maybe the "S and I" stands for for Steel Ingot? Long shot???? "C and I" would stand for Copper Ingot...hence dollars and cents : )
Bill

"Bill" wrote:

Ever been on a pouring platform, especially during an actual pour?
Lew
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:10:45 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

No but I been within a 100 feet of a rolling mill and was not really interested in getting any closer.
Mark

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Markem" wrote:

In another life did some extensive R&D work involving adhesives that would hold the hot top slabs in place during a pour long enough to perform their function.
Field testing required being on the pouring platform during a pour, no more than 10 ft from a stream of molten metal flowing from ladle to ingot mold.
Clothing req'd included steel toed safety shoes complete with metatarsal steel safety flap, fire retardant suit, hard hat and flip down purple safety lens to be used when looking at molten metal.
Lost track of how many mills I was in; however, they were located coast to cost.
Probably the most memorable test was in central Pennsylvania during winter time.
Got the wake up call at the motel about 3:00AM, telling us the heat would be ready to pour within the hour.
Out in that cold night air headed to the mill.
Got to the mill and then had to wait for the heat to come in within spec.
Being on the pouring platform kept one side of you warm which was better than nothing.
Most of the mills I visited have been closed and I moved on to other activities; however, being on a pouring platform during a pour was an experience I'll never forget.
Lew
On 1/27/2011 9:15 AM, Rob H. wrote:

My guess is that it was used for timber marking. The butt of the log would be stamped before the log was sent down the river. At the end of the run, the logs would be separated using the owner's stamp as identification.
Kevin Gallimore
On 1/27/2011 11:50 AM, axolotl wrote:

I can't do better, but don't you find it just "too coincidental" that the ownern's mark in this case is a '$'?
Bill
On 1/27/2011 12:06 PM, Bill wrote:

No. Were I in the business, I might use it myself. Easily recognized, and easily communicated.
Kevin Gallimore
On 1/27/2011 12:34 PM, axolotl wrote:

timber mark:
http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_07348#page/n35/mode/1up
Kevin Gallimore

I think this is exactly right. Google "stamp hammer" and you'll see plenty of examples....they look very much like this. http://www.robarindustries.com/Rolog/PDFsRolog/log_hammers.pdf

Or yet... http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5146104

2152: For some reason, I think of a screw plug for quickly sealing holes in a metal ship's hull. Maybe something from the war to plug below-the-waterline bullet holes or something.
2149: Maybe something to keep count of the number of bushels of something (apples, etc) filled?
2151: A nice handmade lemon squeezer

I agree that it might be some kind of plug, haven't been able to find any information on it yet.

Correct, or close enough at least, they were part of a thresher and counted the number of boxes filled with grain.

Yes, though I think it's for more than just lemons.
Rob

Thanks, that's a good link, I would say that this is most likely the correct answer.
Rob