What is it? Set 338

But if they wrapped the wooden garters with barbed wire they'd have a cilice ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I don't think so....how would you get the strainer part

It is a frame for trapping and holding Usenet trolls. The extended part is to keep them at arms length so they can be dragged back under their bridge. ha ha

Reply to
Gotcha

I seem to recall seeing wood bands used to clamp cloth. How about a beach wedding for an Irish witch? Wouldn't this item be just the thing to fasten a veil to her pointy hat?

Suppose Inis Mor had a parking meter as a tourist attraction. They certainly wouldn't want it exposed to salt spray in the off season. So they put a tarp over it and fasten it with this device.

Reply to
J Burns

There was a second picture of it that I didn't post, it's the top one at the link below, the bottom image is the original one that I posted already:

longer piece was described as 'maybe 8 inches', if this is an accurate estimate then the part that some have called a handle is about 2-1/2" long.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

If it's to hold open a tea sock, the 8" piece would make the frame big enough for a pan to support at three points. It would strain tea for several people at once. Some say metal strainers spoil the flavor of tea. The frame of a tea sock could well be left on a beach, especially if the group left after dark.

Reply to
J Burns

If it were a tea or coffee sock, I'd expect to see some significant staining.

--riverman

Reply to
--riverman

I'll back off about coffee. I recall a 1948 study comparing the diet of Irish immigrants in Boston to that of their cousins in Ireland. In Ireland they drank little coffee but lots of tea.

I recall teabag stains on plastic cutting boards but not wood. Tea staining works with some teas on some kinds of wood. The mystery item is already about the color of a tea stain, and it appears to have a finish. If somebody took the trouble to use curved wood, wouldn't he rub in a little linseed oil so it wouldn't absorb water?

If I owned the mystery item, I'd sew a cloth bag with three loops. That would give me a more practical strainer than using a rubber band to fasten a cloth across the top of a pot.

Reply to
J Burns