What is it? Set 338

Page 2 of 3

The guess that I like the best for this one is that it's a trivet that was used by someone camping on the beach, or maybe it fell from a boat, or it could have been left from a beach party. It's about the right size and it could be taken apart for storage.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

A trivet used on the beach? Why the handle?
How about a strainer frame? Hook straining cloth such as knitted cotton or nylon over the three vertices, rest the two vertices away from the handle on the edge of your container, and pour. Mead, for example, was supposed to be strained when poured.

I've seen a few trivets with a handle before, though most don't have one.

This item is still a mystery for now, I added your strainer frame idea to the list of suggestions on the web site, the rest of them have all been answered correctly this week:
Rob

Another thought for 1940: The loose joints and size makes me think that it may be some sort of noisemaker or muscial instrument, like a rattle.
Carl G.

My very first instinct, considering the location, was that it had something to do with a drum. But that it comes apart doesn't seem to play a role.
On Fri, 28 May 2010 18:09:44 -0700 (PDT), --riverman

A couple more guesses based on location:
A piece of fishing gear. When I was a kid the heads (nets) on lobster traps were held at one end by bent wooden hoops.
A collar for a sheep. This defintion is from a Gaelic dictionary.
siola a wooden collar for a plough horse; from Scandinavian - Swed. sela, a wooden collar, Norse seli, harness, sili, a strap, Scottish sele, a wooden collar to tie cattle to the stalls.
--
Ned Simmons

I'm leaning towards this, Ned. The removable third side makes sense....the collar has to be too small to slip over the animal's head. And the extension piece (handle) gives you something to grab if you are making the animal move, or at least it might keep the third side on top where its less likely to twist and let the collar fall off.
This picture does verify that they use wooden collars, although not at all like the mystery object
http://www.neurotranscendence.com/wp-content/uploads/goat_herd.jpg
Which, of course, brings up the question of how it got to the beach in the first place. :-)
On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:27:06 -0700 (PDT), --riverman

Did you ever see the early documentary movie, Man of Aran? If it's at all accurate, anything on the Aran islands that isn't tied down must end up in the ocean. <g>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1SkNsYHig&NR=1

--
Ned Simmons

I'm leaning towards this, Ned. The removable third side makes sense....the collar has to be too small to slip over the animal's head. And the extension piece (handle) gives you something to grab if you are making the animal move, or at least it might keep the third side on top where its less likely to twist and let the collar fall off.
This picture does verify that they use wooden collars, although not at all like the mystery object
http://www.neurotranscendence.com/wp-content/uploads/goat_herd.jpg
Which, of course, brings up the question of how it got to the beach in the first place. :-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There is a song about that ...
While I was walking down the beach one bright and sunny day I saw a great big wooden box a- floatin' in the bay I pulled it in and opened it up and much to my surprise Oh!, I discovered a (boom-boom-boom) right before my eyes Oh!, I discovered a (boom-boom-boom) right before my eyes.
I picked it up and ran to town as happy as a king I took it to a guy I knew who'd buy 'most anything But this is what he hollered at me as I walked in his shop "Oh!, get out of here with that (boom-boom-boom) before I call a cop! Oh!, get out of here with that (boom-boom-boom) before I call a cop!"
I turned around and got right out, a-running for my life And then I took it home with me to give it to my wife But this is what she hollered at me as I walked in the door "Oh!, get out of here with that (boom-boom-boom) and don't come back no more! Oh!, get out of here with that (boom-boom-boom) and don't come back no more!
I wandered all around the town until I chanced to meet A hobo who was looking for a handout on the street He said he'd take 'most any old thing - he was a desperate man But when I showed 'im the (boom-boom-boom) he turned around and ran Oh!, when I showed 'im the (boom-boom-boom) he turned around and ran.
I wandered on for many years, a victim of my fate Until one day I came upon St. Peter at the gate And when I tried to take it inside, he told me where to go "Get out of here with that (boom-boom-boom) and take it down below! Oh, get out of here with that (boom-boom-boom) and take it down below!"
The moral of this story is if you're out on the beach And you should see a great big box and it's within your reach Don't ever stop and open it up - that's my advice to you 'Cause you'll never get rid of the (boom-boom-boom) no matter what you do Oh, you'll never get rid of the (boom-boom-boom) no matter what you do.
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

recording of the song and when.
Maybe Julius LaRosa?
Think it was probably was the 50's.
Lew

I remember it from 1954.
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

According to Google, it was a Phil Harris tune.
Available as a download, if you are interested.
Lew

Wore out my tolerance for it in 1954, or whenever it was. Same year as "I Love To Go A Wandering", IIRC.
--riverman wrote:

Are those collars wood or leather? It would take a lot of work to carve wooden collars like the mystery object for 50 sheep. Wouldn't it be fragile? Wouldn't it snag vines and briers?
Here's what it is! http://www.elcolmadito.com/USInstCocinaDetail.asp?OrderNumber 38
A Spanish sailor wouldn't have wanted a metal strainer frame, which would corrode if it didn't sink first. He would carve his own of wood. The mystery item is proof that sailors from the Armada made it ashore in the Aran Islands and made coffee, the beverage that was to cost Britain 13 of it's American colonies.
J Burns wrote:

Sorry, but England didn't own those 13 colonies. They were just renting, and didn't keep up the payments so we had to evict them.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The Coffee Party would brew Jamaican Blue as a reminder of the rumors that George had been born in Jamaica and was therefore ineligible to be king.
British officials responded by renting coffee strainers with bayonets. This caused bitterness and was grounds for declaring independence. Patriots began snapping triangular wooden garters onto their legs. Wherever they roamed, they could make coffee with their garters and stockings.

But if they wrapped the wooden garters with barbed wire they'd have a cilice ...

A coffee sock? I don't think so....how would you get the strainer part on to it? I posted the pic over at some irish and celtic newsgroups....very few responses, and the ones offered hare as non-definitive as our own. One guy said he's pretty sure its an animal collar, but you bring up good points about how many it would take for a flock of sheep. However, for no reason whatsoever, I feel more and more confident that it was for wrapping around SOMETHING, and the way you put it on was to put two pieces in a V-shape around, then twist in the third side. Wish we could have some closeups of the sides, to see wear marks or any staining, etc.
And the detail work put into the joints is interesting....they dont all get the same attention.
--riverman wrote:

The circumference of the top of the strainer cloth would be 15". There would be a loop every 5". Each loop would go over one of the three knobs. Now the frame will hold the cloth open and can be laid across a pot up to 8" in diameter.
Holding the cloth open makes it easy to pour the ground coffee into the strainer and to pour boiling water over the coffee. Then Mr. Coffee disassembles his frame and folds his cloth and rambles to the next village, knowing he'll be welcome wherever he goes.
J Burns wrote:
> [...]

It is a frame for trapping and holding Usenet trolls. The extended part is to keep them at arms length so they can be dragged back under their bridge. ha ha