What is it? Set 333

1909: Baby weigher - oh grams - drug dose scales 1910: Snuff box - inject volatile poison gas to kill insects (used by butterfly collectors) 1911: Cattle crush - for branding, horn removal etc. 1912: gutter holder?

1913: Knife sharpening stone - used by fur-hunters?

1914: Hamster helter-skelter. or Hop-pole.
Reply to
Esra Sdrawkcab

This week's set is ready, I need some help with the metal case:

Rob H.

1913 is a Fishhook Sharpener. Now guessing, 1910 reminds me of an old Pocket Warmer. Closing the case and pushing the "plunger" started material smoldering for heat. 1911 seems like a Chute that would be used to dehorn Cattle.

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck

1912. Fireplace crane. 1913. fishhook sharpener. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

1909 could be a stylus tracking-force gauge.
Reply to
J Burns
1909 - Gram scale 1910 - ? 1911 - Branding station 1912 - Mail bag holder for railroad 1913 - It's a sharping stone, but for what I cannot think of right now. 1914 - H> This week's set is ready, I need some help with the metal case:
Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Reply to
Markem

1909 - I have a scale that looks like that for measuring float weight in carbs. 1910 -

1911 - Livestock rack. Looks like a size for small cows, sheep and the like. Can be used to secure the animal to give them shots, trim hooves, and whatever else you need to hold them in place.

1912 - Looks like a fireplace crane

1913 - Hook stone to sharpen fish hooks?

1914 - old grain auger or a mouse ramp?
Reply to
Steve W.

1909: It brings back memories (wink) but I don't know what this one was used for. 1911: Horse shoeing stock

1913 Snell fish hook sharpener

Reply to
Jesse

Correct!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, for hanging pots over the fire.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1910 Handwarmer? 1911 Stall for holding calves when "making" steers? 1913 Slipstone for carving/woodturning tools.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

hooks.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
joelblatt

1914. A do nothing gizmo that spins in the wind when hung outside. Art
Reply to
Artemus

1910 Pillbox?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You nailed it, this device is marked 'Stylus Gauge'.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1909) Stylus pressure gauge for phonograph tone arm. A good one (and good pickup) can work down into the black zone below one gram (and produce much less wear on the record and the stylus.)

Pretty good ones will still be below 2 grams.

Old ceramic or crystal pickups were often as high as eight or ten grams and really accelerated the wear on both the record and the stylus.

1910) This is purely a guess, but it looks to me to be associated with tobacco use.

The plunger packs tobacco in the cylindrical cavity (as well as unlocking the case.

The flat clips to either side look as though they were designed to hold rolling papers.

But the diameter of the plunger suggests that it might be for loading a measured amount of tobacco into a pipe.

I would like a view from the hinge edge with it closed to see whether that is open or closed. It sort of looks as though the disk on the end of the plunger may seal an open end.

So -- is it for delivering measured amounts of tobacco to a pipe, or to rolling papers?

1911) Hmm ... looks sort of like an individual stall for practicing bull riding (as is practiced in rodeos).

It could also be a starting stall for horse racing.

In either case, it restrains the animal and rider until a starting time.

1912) A "crane" for holding a cooking pot over a fire -- pivoted from the back or side of a large fireplace.

It looks as though this one was made by a blacksmith, not a commercial product.

1913) Whetstone for a pocket knife -- in a case for pocket carrying. It could also be used for touching up an axe in the field, or other similar edged tools. 1914) At a guess -- some sort of plunger for a churn?

If it were not for the fact that the spiral reverses about 5/8 of the way along I would suggest that it was something to be towed behind a boat to drive a "log" (a rotation counter to give a measure of the distance traveled.

However -- the reversal of the spiral seems designed to cause turbulence, thus a churn dasher seems to be a better guess.

Now to see what other have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I submitted 1910, the hinge side is an open hole when the case is closed, and the plunger withdrawn. There is no sign of tobacco use, or that it was subjected to heat of any kind. I don't think it was a pocket warmer.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

metal case looks like a tobacco filler for a pipe.--Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass