What is it? Set 333

Page 1 of 2
This week's set is ready, I need some help with the metal case:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

1909: Baby weigher - oh grams - drug dose scales
1910: Snuff box - inject volatile poison gas to kill insects (used by butterfly collectors)
1911: Cattle crush - for branding, horn removal etc.
1912: gutter holder?
1913: Knife sharpening stone - used by fur-hunters?
1914: Hamster helter-skelter. or Hop-pole.
--
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse

1913 is a Fishhook Sharpener. Now guessing, 1910 reminds me of an old Pocket Warmer. Closing the case and pushing the "plunger" started material smoldering for heat. 1911 seems like a Chute that would be used to dehorn Cattle.
Crazy Ed

Correct!
Rob

1912. Fireplace crane. 1913. fishhook sharpener. Thanks Karl

Yes, for hanging pots over the fire.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1909 could be a stylus tracking-force gauge.

You nailed it, this device is marked 'Stylus Gauge'.
Rob
1909 - Gram scale 1910 - ? 1911 - Branding station 1912 - Mail bag holder for railroad 1913 - It's a sharping stone, but for what I cannot think of right now. 1914 - Honey Bird feeder
Rob H. wrote:

A Pillory for an unruley horse. :)
Rob H. wrote:

1909 - I have a scale that looks like that for measuring float weight in carbs.
1910 -
1911 - Livestock rack. Looks like a size for small cows, sheep and the like. Can be used to secure the animal to give them shots, trim hooves, and whatever else you need to hold them in place.
1912 - Looks like a fireplace crane
1913 - Hook stone to sharpen fish hooks?
1914 - old grain auger or a mouse ramp?
--
Steve W.
(\___/)

1909: It brings back memories (wink) but I don't know what this one was used for.
1911: Horse shoeing stock
1913 Snell fish hook sharpener

Good guess, grain auger is correct.
Still not sure about the metal case but the others have all been answered correctly:
Rob

    Except that it differs from that shown in the link in the answers page in one important way. About 2/3 of it has a spiral in one directions, and the other 1/3 in the other direction. This suggests to me that if it *was* used as a flour auger (as the link suggested) that it must have been set up to split the flow into two batches, on twice the size of the other -- say for filling 5# and 10# bags at the same rate from opposite ends of the auger.

    Thanks,         DoN.

Yes, the reason I used that particular link was that it was the only one I could find with an image of a grain auger.
Rob
1911 seems to be for holding an animal in position, but not for pre- takeoff of some sort. The 'entrance' (?) has a restraining chain & strong catch/latch, the bracings are iron plates, the posts have big eye bolts, and the board above the entrance may not be suitable for a take-off of, say, a ridden/bucking horse. My best guess would be a holder for castrating an adult bull or horse.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

You definitely ain't a gonna' do more than one in that crate. :)
Horseshoeing or similar _relatively_ benign tasks are the forte of this puppy. You want a full solid kick panel behind when castrating (btdt which is one reason why we ran heifers... :) )

Thanks to everyone for the attempts to identify the case. It is certainly not a cigar or cigarette case, way too small for that.
Steve R.
Steve R. wrote:

In the Open view, is the thing that says "Made in England" one of two spring-loaded clips to hold something down?
Is the lid spring loaded?
Is the plunger spring loaded?
How is the plunger operated? What does the unseen end look like? (For example, it could seal like a bicycle pump, or it could just be a metal rod.)
In the Open view, there's a stud like a doorknob. What does it do? (For example, does it hold the lid closed in conjunction with the plunger?)
In the Closed view, there's a bump below the stud. What's that? (I don't see it in the Open view.)

The case kind of reminded me of the older style syringe setups. They used a glass cylinder for the barrel of the syringe. Who knows.