What is it? Set 333

1913 is for sharpening fish hooks
Reply to
Mouse

Good guess, grain auger is correct.

Still not sure about the metal case but the others have all been answered correctly:

Rob H.

Except that it differs from that shown in the link in the answers page in one important way. About 2/3 of it has a spiral in one directions, and the other 1/3 in the other direction. This suggests to me that if it *was* used as a flour auger (as the link suggested) that it must have been set up to split the flow into two batches, on twice the size of the other -- say for filling 5# and 10# bags at the same rate from opposite ends of the auger.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks to everyone for the attempts to identify the case. It is certainly not a cigar or cigarette case, way too small for that.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Yes, the reason I used that particular link was that it was the only one I could find with an image of a grain auger.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1911 seems to be for holding an animal in position, but not for pre- takeoff of some sort. The 'entrance' (?) has a restraining chain & strong catch/latch, the bracings are iron plates, the posts have big eye bolts, and the board above the entrance may not be suitable for a take-off of, say, a ridden/bucking horse. My best guess would be a holder for castrating an adult bull or horse.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

In the Open view, is the thing that says "Made in England" one of two spring-loaded clips to hold something down?

Is the lid spring loaded?

Is the plunger spring loaded?

How is the plunger operated? What does the unseen end look like? (For example, it could seal like a bicycle pump, or it could just be a metal rod.)

In the Open view, there's a stud like a doorknob. What does it do? (For example, does it hold the lid closed in conjunction with the plunger?)

In the Closed view, there's a bump below the stud. What's that? (I don't see it in the Open view.)

Reply to
J Burns

The case kind of reminded me of the older style syringe setups. They used a glass cylinder for the barrel of the syringe. Who knows.

Reply to
Jesse

You definitely ain't a gonna' do more than one in that crate. :)

Horseshoeing or similar _relatively_ benign tasks are the forte of this puppy. You want a full solid kick panel behind when castrating (btdt which is one reason why we ran heifers... :) )

--

Reply to
dpb

I still think that it was for carrying loose tobacco and either delivering it into the bowl of a pipe, or for delivering it into "rolling papers", which would be stored under the spring straps in one side of the case (either side of the plunger travel.

If for a pipe, it would deliver a pre-measured load into the bowl without even having to open the case. If for making hand-rolled cigarettes, you would have to open the case to extract a paper, but then you would close it and a stroke of the plunger would deliver a pre-measured amount of tobacco onto the paper ready for rolling.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The lid is spring loaded, the stud is the catch that holds the lid closed. there is no spring in the knob. The opposite end from the knob is just a round piece of metal with a treaded hole, a rod from the knob holds it together. The bump is a rivet that doesn't do anything.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

There is no real way for tobacco to get into the U shaped piece on it's own. You will note that there are holes in that part, which are quite sharp on the inside. If you drive a nail through a piece of sheet metal, you will get the same effect on the exit side.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Fragrance! The princess tells James Bond that she wishes the king hadn't put up "no smoking" signs, for she loves the smell of Prince Albert. So Bond puts Prince Albert in the case and puts the case in the inner pocket of his suit coat, over his right breast. Before approaching the princess, he pulls the plunger. As he breathes, the fragrance fills the air around him. The princess answers all his questions.

Reply to
J Burns

I've got it

1910 Who ever said it was for filling pipes is right. They are for something called Tobacco Cartridges. I have smoked a pipe for years and I never heard of such a thing.

I hope these links work.

?id=CioDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=%22tobacco+cartridges%22+pipe&source=bl&ots=N1lMq4USSf&sig=h18LmKThCQthoRFERKQux2gg0Ko&hl=en&ei=w3TUS5jJB8Sblgfv8djsAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCEQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22tobacco%20cartridges%22%20pipe&f=falsePaul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

>> Paul K. Dickman

Thanks! That's it!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

>> Paul K. Dickman

Thanks! That's it!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Excellent! Great job finding that, I just updated the answer on the web site.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.