What is it? Set 327

Page 1 of 2
The first device is probably fairly difficult, so instead of suggesting the specific use for it feel free to guess which profession would have used it:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1875 No guess yet, but when faced with an unknown device with an electrical connection I'd look at the other end of the cable. How many wires? What size wires? What type? Just 2 heavy wires might indicate a lamp or heater. Several light wires might indicate an instrument. I'd also check for continuity/resistance among the cable wires and to the contacts on the black surface.

Yesterday I sent an email to the owner of this device asking about the wires but I haven't heard back yet, I'll post their reply when I get it.
Still not sure about number 1875 but the rest of them have been answered correctly this week:
Rob

A photo of the tag/label on top of the base would be helpful too. Art

Under the last photo of this device on the web site was a link that said 'Close-up of the name plate', it went to this image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic1875d.jpg
Rob

Ahh! I missed that. Art

    There *was* one -- but you had to click a text link to see it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1878: Prototype of the "Cone of Silence" used by C.ON.T.R.O.L.

1878 is ALMOST that. It's a stereo "audio zone" speaker for a museum display. The thing is almost inaudible, except when standing directly under it. Then, you get a perfect stereo presentation of the soundtrack.
LLoyd
E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"WHAT?"

Yep... they've got exactly that model in the Colonial Williamsburg visitor's center around an A/V display.
LLoyd
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

Yep. I just encountered them at the Basketball Hall of Fame.
--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

RobH sent:
1877 -- The carbide lamp and flask of carbide suggests these are part of a miner's or tunneler's kit. The reversible breast drill might have been used for drilling small charge holes.
LLoyd

I was thinking that the flask contained black powder but that could be incorrect. These particular tools were not used for mining or tunneling.
Rob
On 3/11/2010 10:29 AM, Rob H. wrote:

They would seem to make a fine set of safecracker's tools.
Kevin Gallimore

1875- "Reno LePaute" made radio and telephonic equipment, so it's in that genre...
Dave

Hmm, knob slides over, something gets held between the brass electrodes...
Dave
1873 is a watchmakers tool God knows what it is for. Poising balance wheels or setting dial feet or something. Those guys have a billion different tools for each part of the watch movement.
Paul K. Dickman

I believe it's a lens-maker's assembly stand.
LLoyd

This answer is correct.
Rob