What is it? Set 326

Page 1 of 2
Just updated the web site with a new post:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1868 The indicator/dial from a water-clock (clepsydra).
1872 Adjusting stop for a window awning. Screwed to an outside window frame. Rod catches one of the notches to set the angle of an outside window awning. http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2007/03/1920s_houdini_f.php Note that some of the awnings are adjusted at different angles.

1868 water clock 1869 early breast drill

1868 - oil-lamp clock 1869 - some sort of auger or drill

Correct
Yes, it was for use by miners.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Sumbitch! How the hell did you find THAT?
(good job!)
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

back for more, even though the political rants are off-putting.

So it is - Wikipedia calls it a vajra.
Nick
--
Nick Wedd snipped-for-privacy@maproom.co.uk

Nick Wedd wrote:

1867--Upside down? Looks like it could be a bumper on a vehicle. I even see some signs of collision in just the right spot. That it is engraved makes me rule out more-industrial purposes. Of course, I could be wrong... :)
Bill
Nick Wedd wrote:

1868--Reminds me of the device they use to measure the size of your foot in a shoe store (or a cobbler's shoppe?).
Bill
Aha... With the identification of 1870, I can now guess that: 1867 is a carrier for a Tibetan Dorje or Vajra.

1867 Japanese stirrup
1868 Oil clock. Float tracks the oil level, which goes down as the lamp (wick below) burns.
1869 Hand-cranked whirly thing, but no idea what for (farming the Mid West, I'll bet, but no idea which end of the cow you stick it in)
1870 Lightning bolt (stylised Buddhist one)
1871 Guessing it goes on the end of a pole and acts as some sort of ratchet hook? Maybe another patent cart or buggy jack?
1872 Part of a window opener for small fanlights. Screw on the wall, a loop hooks into the rack and can be adjusted up and down by a few inches.

1871: A Peavey hoist, a crude but powerful version of a comealong. Works with heavy chain. Used in the woods to open the sluice gates of driving dams, among other things. The socket takes a long wood handle.
John Martin

According to the patent it was made for something other than what you suggest, but you're correct that it works with a heavy chain.
Rob
1871: A early version of what my dad called a "binder", an over center take up used with chains to tie down a load on the bed of an 18 wheeler.
Still very much in use today.
Lew

The patent says it's for another purpose, something that I've posted numerous times before.
Rob

Art

That's it! According to a fence tool book that I have, there are still plenty of these that I haven't posted yet but if I find any more I think I'll hold off on them for a while.
Rob

Scary! Even I don't have books of collected fencing tools.