What is it? Set 322

Page 1 of 2
Today's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

For sure, 1845 is an antique Egyptian or Assyrian pillow or headrest. Ouch.
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~ancient/museum9.htm
Pierre

Wow. I would *never* have guessed that, and I thought you were joking until I looked at the link -- I had it figured for resting the opposite end.

The stuffing and cover are missing ...

Doubt it. head rests are still used in Africa without any padding. and they are surprisingly comfortable (at least for just laying out, I never slept on one.)
my other guesses are :
1843: head of a spear fishing spear.
1846: steel knuckles for a de-fingered thug????
1848: remains of a jail???
Stephen B.

1845 Pillow
1847 Guess: Darts Scoreboard

1843 some kind of dart tracking device. Shoot into animal, wireless antenna to track?

What is aggravating is that there's always one or two that are so damn familiar-looking!
Dave

1845 is a birthing chair
LLoyd
On Feb 4, 8:18am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

My memory is good, but not *that* good!
Dave

And today's guesses are being posted, too! All guesses, I'm afraid, this time around.
1843 - Some sort of a head for a harpoon, perhaps? The pointy bit appears to possibly be spring-loaded, so maybe it gets sprung into the victim when the unit strikes.
1844 - Cast holder for two decks of playing cards (or for the draw pile and the discard pile, depending upon the game).
1845 - Head rest
1846 - Cast iron brass knuckles
1847 - Probably an indicator display for some spread, perhaps related somehow to betting. No idea on the specifics.
1848 - Jail cell window minus the rest of the jail
--
Andrew Erickson

| wrote: | | > Today's set has been posted: | > | > http://55tools.blogspot.com / | | And today's guesses are being posted, too! All guesses, I'm afraid, | this time around. | | 1843 - Some sort of a head for a harpoon, perhaps? The pointy bit | appears to possibly be spring-loaded, so maybe it gets sprung into the | victim when the unit strikes. | | 1844 - Cast holder for two decks of playing cards (or for the draw pile | and the discard pile, depending upon the game). ........ I agree on 1844 but I believe they were designed specifically for the game of Canasta, which being a two-deck game became a problem with high decks for draw or discard. That being said I never saw a metal deck holder; perhaps for tournament play?
pavane

Yes, it's for holding playing cards but I don't know if it was intended for a specific game or not.
Rob

This answer is correct.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

my guesses:
1846: "brass knuckles" 1848: window frame for a barred window: this one may have been from a basement window?
Bill
1843: too small for anything I can think of 1844: playing card holder (Might be just a hair out of ratio for a Bridge set)             (anybody play Bridge anymore? ) 1845: 3,000 years? Would Egyptians/Assyrians/whoever make a kiddie seat? 1846: I can't read the embossed letters, but I'm thinking it's not "brass knuckles". Maybe a pipe or cable organizer/standoff? 1847: 1848: window bars still attached to the base (or upside down header?) block. Alternatively, I could see it in an older water construction. Those are rust flakes on the upper pipes?.

You're right that it's not brass knuckes, it's also not for pipes, cable is closer but not correct.
Rob

1846: Tool for braiding rope, similar to
http://www.solarnavigator.net/images/rope_making_Metters_machine_serpentine.jpg
Rob H. wrote:

1843 - With the wire out the back I'm guessing a Taser dart.
1844 -
1845 - Something to hold the head of a person having make-up applied?
1846 - Three finger brass knuckles? Would work for a rabbit punch I guess.
1847 -
1848 -
--
Steve W.