What is it? Set 322

Today's set has been posted:

Rob H.

For sure, 1845 is an antique Egyptian or Assyrian pillow or headrest. Ouch.

pierre
1845 Pillow

1847 Guess: Darts Scoreboard

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1843 some kind of dart tracking device. Shoot into animal, wireless antenna to track?
Reply to
Royston Vasey

looked at the link -- I had it figured for resting the opposite end.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What is aggravating is that there's always one or two that are so damn familiar-looking!

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Dave__67 fired this volley in news:b12aaab1-8f8c- snipped-for-privacy@3g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

this time around.

1843 - Some sort of a head for a harpoon, perhaps? The pointy bit appears to possibly be spring-loaded, so maybe it gets sprung into the victim when the unit strikes. 1844 - Cast holder for two decks of playing cards (or for the draw pile and the discard pile, depending upon the game). 1845 - Head rest 1846 - Cast iron brass knuckles 1847 - Probably an indicator display for some spread, perhaps related somehow to betting. No idea on the specifics. 1848 - Jail cell window minus the rest of the jail
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

my guesses:

1846: "brass knuckles" 1848: window frame for a barred window: this one may have been from a basement window?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My memory is good, but not *that* good!

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67
1843: too small for anything I can think of 1844: playing card holder (Might be just a hair out of ratio for a Bridge set) (anybody play Bridge anymore? ) 1845: 3,000 years? Would Egyptians/Assyrians/whoever make a kiddie seat? 1846: I can't read the embossed letters, but I'm thinking it's not "brass knuckles". Maybe a pipe or cable organizer/standoff? 1847: 1848: window bars still attached to the base (or upside down header?) block. Alternatively, I could see it in an older water construction. Those are rust flakes on the upper pipes?.
Reply to
jbry3

1843 - With the wire out the back I'm guessing a Taser dart.

1844 -

1845 - Something to hold the head of a person having make-up applied?

1846 - Three finger brass knuckles? Would work for a rabbit punch I guess.

1847 -

1848 -

Reply to
Steve W.

|| And today's guesses are being posted, too! All guesses, I'm afraid, | this time around. | | 1843 - Some sort of a head for a harpoon, perhaps? The pointy bit | appears to possibly be spring-loaded, so maybe it gets sprung into the | victim when the unit strikes. | | 1844 - Cast holder for two decks of playing cards (or for the draw pile | and the discard pile, depending upon the game). ........ I agree on 1844 but I believe they were designed specifically for the game of Canasta, which being a two-deck game became a problem with high decks for draw or discard. That being said I never saw a metal deck holder; perhaps for tournament play?

pavane

Reply to
pavane

Yes, it's for holding playing cards but I don't know if it was intended for a specific game or not.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

You're right that it's not brass knuckes, it's also not for pipes, cable is closer but not correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1843) Intersting device. Given the size, I would guess that it is fired from a CO2 or compressed air weapon and used for capturing fish underwater.

It looks as though the line feeds in through the back and is secured by a knot in the hole visible in the side near the back.

1844) Looks like a support for a hit frying pan or something similar with minimal transmission of heat to the table top. 1845) Hmm ... something to support the neck and head of a mummified corpse -- perhaps in a pyramid? 1846) Hmm ... choices:

Forged steel version of brass knuckles?

Something for forming part of a sling for lifting heavy loads and keeping them balanced?

???

1847) Hmm ... no size given? Some kind of reminder while counting out some product? One pointer is where to start, the other when to stop. 1848) Looks like a window grate from an old jail cell -- still embedded in the concrete window sill, but with the rest of the window missing.

Or perhaps a strainer for a sewer -- dropped in to block large objects passing through? Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1846: Tool for braiding rope, similar to
Steve

Your second guess is a good one, it's part of a hay elevator and carrier and is used to get the desired elevation of the hay fork, check out figure 3 in the patent:

Rob H.

The stuffing and cover are missing ...

Reply to
LDosser