What is it? Set 318

Nope, it's not for hides or other animal related use.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1819) Hmm ... something which rotates from the hot air from below it (which means that the bearings are a lot better than I would otherwise expect from the period). Perhaps used to rotate a chunk of meat, or a pot of something like beans, to even out the heating which would otherwise be from one side only. 1820) A tool for hooking and levering up a manhole cover perhaps, or a lid from a wood stove -- but it does not look old enough for that. 1821) This is a tool for compressing the OD of a watch crystal or the like for snapping it into the bezel.

I would actually like to own one of these if the owner is willing to part with it.

1822) Never seen anything which looks like this before.

However -- for guesses -- it appears to be intended to control a gas flame -- in part by the lever on the left in the first photo, and in part by a belt drive via the pulley on the bottom in both main photos.

The lever controls how much gas pressure reaches the rest of it, and I think the pulley also controls the gas pressure as well. I *think* that the brass projection (top right in first photo) may be a jet which is rotated by the pulley, while the right-projecting fitting feeds gas on to some other burner.

While the close-ups are a help, it would be really nice to have it in my hands to play with to increase my chances at a reasonable guess.

1823) Looks like something for cleaning out gutters at the eves of a house. 1824) Strap for mounting some piece of military gear (based on the color of the fabric more than anything else. No more guess than that.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1819 - Candle forming machine of some sort -- perhaps to shape dipped candles uniformly as they cooled. 1820 - A handle that can be attached to several different implement heads, perhaps different forms of small shovels. 1821 - Puller head for something, like small pulleys or brass instrument mouthpieces that have become stuck in their instruments 1822 - Nothing solid, but I rather fancy that this could be a governor for a (presumably stationary) engine of some sort. 1823 - Hook knife, for carving concave items -- this one appearing to me to be especially suited to hollowing out gutters for a roof. 1824 - Joiner piece to hold two bits of cloth or belting together (fitting over buttons fastened to the two items). Similar but smaller fasteners are used in some garments at times, I believe.
Reply to
Andrew Erickson
1823. Is this used to by farriers to work on a horse's hoof?
Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nope, it's not for use on horses.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Perhaps 1823 is a masonry tool. Could be used to form the top of a wall for instance. phil kangas

Reply to
Phil Kangas

1820 might be a weed puller

1821: No doubts about this one, it's a watch crystal tool, I have one!

Steve R. One time watchmaker.

Reply to
Steve R.

it would do a good job of dissipating some heat from some embers. Evidently my earlier guess of wooden wheel shaper was wrong...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

LOL too funny

Reply to
Bluey

The tool on my site isn't for sale but you can find a new one on ebay for $22, which is cheaper than I paid for mine.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Some weird and wiled ones this week

1820 has the look of a Thistle Grubber A tool for getting out thistles and other noxious weeds by pushing into the ground (like a spade or shovel the 2 prongs near the root of the weed pushing down and lifting it out of the ground. Robin from kiwi land
Reply to
Robin Halligan

Thanks! I hadn't done any searches on eBay for that -- figuring:

A) It would only be available from watch repair suppliers.

B) That it would be a lot more expensive than has been shown.

Thanks again, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols