What is it? Set 285

Page 2 of 2
"Rob H." wrote:

What is so new and improved about the wire measuring machine?
Same thing is still in use at any chandlery that sells cut lengths of rope.
I used one when working at a hardware store while in high school.
Lew
"Ted Schuerzinger" wrote:

SFWIW, it has been several decades since I used one and it looked like an antique back then.<grin>
Lew
E Z Peaces wrote:

That would take up more valuable floor space, and require multiple operations to wind, measure and cut, then remove it from the drum and coil it back up.
That measuring machine was used with a hand cranked collapsible reel that both pulled the wire through the machine, and coiled it. Once you had the right length you cut it, tied the coil, the released the arms to free the coil. I sold and used a lot of wire with those, back in the '70s. I used some long lag eyes and screwed them into exposed studs, then used some old stock ground rods to hold the smaller reels.