What is it? Set 261

Page 1 of 2
Just posted a new set of photos:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1477 Very Pistol... Flare Gun. Very is the inventor's name.
1477 A bunch of vacuum tube shields. In the age of pictureless TV (called radio) there were primitive thingies that did what those trivial parts of ICs called transistors now do. Each of the vacuum tubes was supposed to do its own thing, and to isolate each of them from the others, it was not uncommon to slip Faraday shield cans over them. The pile of parts in the picture are for late model vacuum tubes ('50s).

LET the games begin..
1477) It looks like a flare gun. Any other pictures to bring out more salient features?
1478) A holder for a cymbal for a marching band. The cymbal holder walks along beside the drummer trying not to look stupid while the drummer occasionally hits the cymbal.
1479) These look a bit like the little plastic plugs that go in the end of a ball point pen, but I guess that's not what they are. Shotgun shell lining?
1480) A saddle rack, for storing your saddle and bridle on the barn wall.
1481) This gets held by a string and swirled around in the air for some reason. The dangly part at the back has something to do with the reason.
1482) A display/storage case for something....the wooden pegs are too fragile for rigorous use, so something lightweight and able to retrieved delicately must have been used. Maybe to hold woolen mittens connected with a thread, or something? I look forward to finding out more.
OK. now to see how lucky my guesses were.
--riverman

I've only got two more pictures of it, and they don't really show much more detail, although the second one below shows the maker and model number:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1477d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1477e.jpg
This is just a guess, but it looks like the barrel of the gun pivots around the pin just up and to the right from the trigger. To release the barrel, pull back on the knurled part at the top left above the hammer, and then insert a flare. I took the photos at an antique mall, but it's far from where I live, otherwise I'd go and take another look at it.
Rob
E Z Peaces wrote:

Or with thick gloves.

Well, the serial number gave it away..
http://tinyurl.com/6l9nl7
--riverman

Even better; halfway down this page http://tinyurl.com/6m9abt
--riverman
Rob I dont see my post so I apologize if I clicked the wrong button and sent it to your inbox.

That's ok, I've done that a few times myself.
Rob
1480 looks like an expendable temperature - depth probe. The ring is fastened to a deck mounted box with electrical connections, the "safety" clip is pulled and the probe is dropped overboard. The probe falls at terminal velocity and measures the sea temperature as a function of time = depth.
1477 flare gun
1480 saddle/tack wall rack
1481 fishing downrigger weight. the little dingus at the rear is a line release.
1477 flare gun 1479 Tube shields for vacuum tube auto radio 1484 Downrigger for deep water trolling
Rob H. wrote:

1482: Display rack for merchandising V-Belts
Carla I've been in more laps than a napkin.-- Mae West
Carla Fong wrote:

Me, too. The numbers seem to be Gates numbers.
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/vbeltfhp12by4756?showPage=1&showPerPage
Built in a time when wood was cheaper than plastic.

Good answer, this is correct, and the top of the display said Gates Belts, as posted by zyyzzy43.
Rob

1477: Looks too flimsy to be a real firearm. Not to mention the fat short barrel. Maybe a flare gun, but if so, why any sight at all?
1478: Possibly for some sort of specialty security fastener.
1479: Maybe the spent ammo for 1477...
1480: I think it's upside down.
1481: Sounding line weight?
1482: Well, obviously, it's for home AND farm. It's a display rack for some sort of merchandise, which would have hung on the hooks. Maybe the numbers refer to different sizes.
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress

On:

1477. Marine flare pistol 1479. vacuum tube shields 1481. deep sea fishing dart (line weight)

Well, 1479 is a collection of valve (tube) shields
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show

Here's my guesses:
1477 - Even after enlarging the picture, it still looks like a little gun of unusually large bore. I'm guessing it's for firing distress flares from a ship, since it lacks any sort of aiming aids.
1478 - Perhaps this is a scraper (or holder for a scraper blade), such as for removing old paint from moldings. It does look vaguely familiar, but I don't know under what circumstances....
1479 - Shields for vacuum tubes, used both to keep them securely in place and to provide some RF isolation.
1480 - Equestrian saddle holder, to be bolted to a (sturdy) wall with the hook part down.
1481 - Buck Rogers window sash weight
1482 - Display stand for...ummm..maybe flat belts such as were used before Vee belts became popular on farm and home equipment?
Now to read other ideas...
--
Andrew Erickson

I had loads at one time and it seemed to me most were Al. The only ones I've seen that weren't were on some Rhode and Schwartz kit.