What is it? Set 251

Page 2 of 2

1417 - Tektronix scope camera. Takes Polaroid film.
1418 - Sharpener for something. Or something that tapers a dowel?
1419 - Toasters
1420 - Water turbine. Looks a lot like the one that is buried in the creek bank near here. It was used to power a box making mill.
1421 - Back scratcher? Or an early tool for shedding?
1422 -
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Howdy,
1421 is a scoop for nails (when they are sold).
--
Kenneth

1417. Polaroid attachment for an oscilloscope or other electronic display . I've got another one that works same but is built differently.
1418. Insullation stripper for electric wire.
1419. Toasters, for use in front of open fire or coals
1420. Variable turbine, spins shaft at top, gates open or close to vary flow/power
1421. Rake, (Lee Michaels probably nailed this one.)
Flash

1417)    A Tektronix oscilloscope camera. Uses (or used) Polaroid     type 107 film for fast exposure times, or possibly type 108     if you want color shots of the green traces.
    It could also hold 4x5 cut film holders, or a roll film holder     for the Polaroid type 67 and similar film. (Or was type 47 the     larger roll?)
    The 4x5 cut film holder could also use an adaptor for the 4x5     Polaroid sheet film -- type 57 for the high speed version. One     of the versions was type 55 P/N -- it produced a usable negative     as well as a print.
    I think that this one is for the Textronix 7000 series 'scopes,     based on the shape of the mounting plate.
    You can look down the eyepiece and tunnel, and there is a knob     on the right which will flip a shutter to block off stray light     from the eyepiece when taking your shots.
    I've used these many time.
    I've got a smaller one for the type 454 portable scopes.
1418)    An interesting old pencil sharpener?
1419)    Looks as though they are for making toast in a fireplace.
1420)    Looks like some form of siren -- fire house type at a guess.
1421)    Either for breaking clods in a small garden (the kind you     work on your knees), or for raking coals in a cast iron stove.
1422)    Hmm ... two wires coming in at right angles with a small     diameter center conductor, and a lot of insulation, and a dome     which clamps down on the junction point.
    Perhaps for making splices in high voltage low current     connections? The dome could hold down glass for insulators, or     perhaps the whole thing is connected to a vacuum pump to     increase the breakdown voltage.
    I don't think that is for a RF coax connection given the period.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:00:57 -0400, "Rob H."

Howdy,
I thought they stopped using real hardware stores years ago...<g>
There are few left, but the "real" hardware stores around here (most of which were in business a hundred years ago) still use those nail rakes.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

I have seen a couple hardware stores with the nail bins and rakes. But it is the lumber yard whare I see these the most.
It is a lot easier to use the rake than your fingers to gather up a bunch of nails.

A tool for tapering tuning pegs.