What is it? CXCVIII

Page 2 of 2
R.H. wrote:

1092: Choke 1093: Device for cancelling checks 1094: hooks onto a wire or cord to pull it in some way, might act as a stand off... 1095: knife sharpener 1096: Doll Bed heater, fill with coals from fireplace or stove and slip it between the sheets.
"R.H." wrote:

... snip ...

Make it simple for all. Set the "reply-to" field appropriately. This is not attacked by spammers, because it isn't broadcast by a cursory examination of a newsgroup. So it doesn't attract spam.

I'm using Windows Mail and I've looked but didn't see an option to change the "reply-to" field. If you know where it is, please tell me.
Rob
Rob, it's up to you, but I don't think you want to put your real address in the reply to box, since when someone quotes your message, as I've done here.. your real address will be posted in the numerous groups where you post your weekly puzzle page.
I look forward to seeing your new sets of oddities each week, keep up the good work
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:10:21 -0400, "Wild_Bill" > wrote:

I think you are missing the distinction between a From: header and a Reply-to. Rob is not (yet) using a Reply-to header, so your news reader will use his From: as one if you were to send an email reply to him. The From: is also what is grabbed by the news reader and placed in the attribution line. (Which I manually removed in this reply, since I have a quirk about making the atribs fit on one line...)
When using a Reply-to header (as I am) your news client will grab it for email, but continue to use the From: for attribution.
BTW, this is not 100% effective in preventing your address from being harvested. It does help a bunch without causing problems for legitimate replies, so I highly recommend the practice.

Me too!
--
William

Thanks for pointing out the difference William
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Wild_Bill wrote: *** and top-posted - fixed ***

The reply-to does NOT appear in the quotes either.
Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:
--
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
<http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Thanks, but apparently I don't get the same screen when following that path. I'm going to be too busy to worry about this issue for a while, so I'm going to put it off for the time being.
Rob

1091: Pot handle 1092: Transfomer 1093: Leather punch, perhaps for putting a hole for an eyelet into a boot 1094: World's smallest pickaxe 1095: Lousy grindstone 1096: Device for removing coals from a fire
result in a fully-depreciated one.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, as usual.

    Well ... that is fair enough -- *I* block a lot of road-runner sites because of spam or sshd attacks coming from them. :-)
    I do try to avoid blocking the genuine mail servers, when I can recognize them.
1091)    Hmm ... it looks like a side piece of a military helmet --     though it looks more Greek, but the lettering appears to be     Chinese.
1092)    A current transformer. You feed a wire through it, and measure     the current produced between the two terminals. (You can boost     the sensitivity by running multiple loops through the hole,     instead of just a single wire.
    I *think* that the moulded-in data shows a ration of 50:5. Mine     is a black case with a black anodized aluminum label with     natural aluminum lettering, and the ratio on it is 400:5. This     suggests that the standard meter hooked to it is 5A full scale,     no matter what the scale *actually* says.
    Mine, also has the frequency range of 50 Hz to 400 Hz, and is     rated for 600 V.
    Yours appears to have a VA (Volt-Amps) rating as well, though it     is difficult to read the moulded lettering in the marbled     plastic.
1093)    This appears to be an early form of stapleless paper joiner.
    It pokes a hole through multiple sheets of paper, and folds it     down on the top of the hole.
1094)    It looks like one half of a set of hinges which disconnect from     each other by twisting. It is obviously designed to screw down     to flat wood, though I'm not sure what the tongues on either     side are for.
    Perhaps it could be a lock which can be swiveled to release the     other half to disconnect.
1095)    A knife blade sharpener. You roll it on a countertop. The     rubber treads keep it from slipping, and the knife goes to     either side of the white stone, held at the proper angle by the     sides of the plastic center.
1096)    This appears to be a device for getting a pill (perhaps wrapped     in meat) into an animal and past the point where the critter can     cough it back up.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.