What is it? CXCVII

Page 1 of 2
The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
1085 Superegg (ellipsoid with higher power than 2) Stands on end. From 1960's, described in Scientific American Magazine.
http://www.fam-bundgaard.dk/SOMA/HISTORY.HTM about 3/4 of the way down.

The "supercircle" (a 2-dimensional projection of the same curve) was the basis of the custom-designed font used by the ill-fated e-commerce fashion site boo.com The founders were of course Swedish, and had grown up surrounded by Piet Hein design work. It was just one of their attempts (well-intentioned, although finally doomed) to bring the aesthetic of Scandinavian design to the flat canvas of the Web.
I use it myself as the outline for sword tsuba in cast bronze.
R.H. wrote:

1087 looks like a street sign post cap , and 1090 is a pair of gunstock checkering cutters .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Dang, beat me to the only one I knew-
Dave
1088: Fire starter - a pot filled 2/3 with kerosene or fuel oil. The ceramic ball on the end of the rod soaks up the fuel and is placed under the fire logs and lit, the fuel oil burns long enough to start the logs and you don't need kindling. We used 'em to light our fireplace logs for years until we got heat in our house (house was built in 1890)... Joel in Florida
today only two silly guesses ;-(
1085 hmm, isnt this a virtual picture, completely rendered on computer? you can find similar ones on my spoiler ... http://www.kleinurl.de/?ited5lqf
1089 looks similar to some "cable distance keeper" , or "cable organizer" of modern times.
greetings from germany chris

1. Black and white photo of golden egg laid by Piet Hein's goose. 2. Eyeball adjuster. Used to increase intraocular distance of people with closely-spaced eyes. Lets people use cheap non-adjustable binoculars. 3. Used to fasten a razorblade onto the end of a hobby horse stick. You sharpen the blade by riding the hobby horse over a cement sidewalk. 4. Chamber pot with clog remover. Solved the problem of backed-up chamber pots. 5. Early brass knuckles. You made the victim wear it. Works best when heated. 6. I have one of these. They are everlasting toothbrushes. The bristles last longer than your teeth. 7. Inside of a ping-pong ball. Been there.
--Dogstar
1085--Escher is alive and well, and doing photography.
1086--Looks like something I have, which I am guessing holds a pair of carbons for an arc light--for example, inside an old movie projector.
1090--I was going to say "riffler." Gunstock grooving tool seems like a better answer--would that be a subset?

1085 appears to be a three-dimentional representation of the shape popularized by Piet Hein, the super-ellipse <http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Superellipse.html .
It has been sold for a while as a decorative doowhatchie called a super-egg. This is a super-egg, in what appears to be stainless steel.
1086 looks like the blank-holding jig for a double-copy key-cutting machine.
1090 are two leather-tooling tools.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 03:50:21 -0400, "R.H."
1089 is a "Universal Tool", Patent number 241,893 from May 24, 1881. See:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid $1893
For handling stove-lids, pots, dishes and kitchen utensils... also as a support for flat irons, coffee pots and can be used as a meat-tenderer.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Number 1090 looks like a tool for removing broken cashew nuts from an alarm clock. Joe G

checkering gun stocks and grips. The top tool in the lower picture is a single-line checker file, the lower tool is a "skip-line" or bordering tool.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, as usual.
1085)    I would swear that someone made a steel bearing     "darning egg" -- way too heavy to be practical, but it should     last forever. :-)
1086)    I would like a closer look at the bracket to the right of     the moving parts. It looks as though it has electrical binding     posts going through it.
    If that is what is there, and if the white material is a     porcelain or ceramic, I suspect that this holds a sample in     tension to be broken by some manner or other. One possibility     would be that this is one of two such holders for the start and     stop sensors for a chronograph (for measuring bullet speeds).
1087)    part of a folding coatrack, perhaps? This fits inside the     tubular sections which support the coathangers?
1088)    for boiling and cleaning socks or other clothing?
1089)    Looks like something to rest a hot pot on.
1090)    For filing rounded bottom grooves in wood or soft metals?
    The part with the teeth is replacable.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

#1090 Gunstock checkering tools
The others, not a clue -- these are getting harder every week.

I've got a number of things that haven't made it onto the site for some reason or another, and I'm going to post a few of them in this thread. These first two were submitted by visitors, I don't know what they are.
1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/pic1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/pic1a.jpg
The owner's description:
It appears to be hand-made.
The holes on opposing sides line up when the object is folded flat and when the object is opened into a square, .
The top part appears to have no function other than holding the piece flat when it is folded, and the fit when it is folded down is not snug.
Along the inside of the bottom of the object, there is a recessed section running across all four sides, from the bottom edge to just above the row of holes; this creates a ledge or lip just above the holes.
For scale, the object is 8" long when folded flat. When opened square, the outside edge is roughly 4-1/2", and the inside edge is 4". The lip is recessed 1/4".
-----
2. This device was found in New York:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/pic2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/pic2a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/pic2b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/pic2c.jpg
Any ideas on these?
Rob
hi r.h.,

some early prototype of vacuum tube / electrical tube: http://www.kleinurl.de/?9s648q5i
traveling wave tube (first picture top left looks similar) with missing collector (this seems to be the better silly guess):
http://www.kleinurl.de/?mpqaz37h http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_wave_tube http://www.kleinurl.de/?spvwnviy
greetings from germany chris

Thanks for the links, I'll pass them along to the owner of this device.
Rob
Barrel for removing dents from brass horn.
Part of printing press.
Replacement part of crepe paper twisting machine.
Antique PVC glue pot.
Cookie cutter.
Rasps or broaches with replaceable cutters.