What is it? CLXII

Page 2 of 2

For cinema units carbon arc lighting is usual. For slide projectors, or magic lantern, hmmm, not.
greetings

ice at a fish processing facility. I don't know if that was the intended or original use of the tool.
R.H. wrote:

looks like a pipe fitting, the light source is probably a gas/acetylene burner with a mantel inside the perforated case.
Northe

934 is an early microtome
936 is a pencil sharpener (automatic, too!)
LLoyd

938 is a smaller version of a "hookaroon" to handle firewood lengths as opposed to logs, the bigger version has about a 30" handle.

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId83823918
One of the few times I'm very confident in my response to a question on this site. My two passions are woodworking and rock climbing, and this, my friends, as some have indicated is definitely a cam for rock climbing. The above address will link you to more information if you are interested, though I'm sorry it didn't seem to paste as a link.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
933)    This is the semi-duplicate. The end shown is designed to     expand in cracks in stone to provide a grip in mountain climbing     and caving type activities.
934)    A microtome -- for slicing off very thin samples of organic     materials to make microscope slides. The original sample is     mounted in a cylinder of wax to fit the hole in the top. As the     lever is slid to the left, it shaves a very thin slice off the     sample and the surrounding wax ready for placing on the     microscope slide, adding perhaps some stains to make certain     things more visible, a mounting compound, and a cover glass.
    As the lever is returned to its original position, the lower     lever keyed to a slot in the main lever will advance a feedscrew     to extend the sample just the right distance for another slice     to be made.
    The one which I have is rather more complex, with a separately     mounted blade which looks like a refugee from a straight razor,     and has adjustments to control how far it is extended per slice.     It also has a tray to collect the sliced samples.
    This one looks as though it may use a single-edged or     double-edged razor blade clamped below the main lever.
    It would be interesting to see other views, to see whether there     is some provision for adjusting the thickness per slice.
935)    These look like cheap to manufacture versions of caltrops.
    Perhaps these are intended to be used against human opponents     walking barefoot or in sandals -- such as in Vietnam.
    The originals were made to keep horse-borne warriors from     attacking.
936)    Either a strange version of a pencil sharpener, or perhaps     for pointing wooden dowels.
937)    A library stand for an unabridged dictionary. The sides     raise and fall allowing the pages on either side to have the     same level, keeping the dictionary from flapping shut if not     held.
938)    Not really sure about this one. From the shape of the handle     and the point, I think that it may be for climbing up a sloped     icy surface -- using two of them -- one in each hand -- and     perhaps some specialized kind of footwear to help as well.
939)    An early version of a slide projector (magic lantern), I think.
    The slide carrier goes through the slot just before the taper     starts.
    The black area contains the lamp. I'm not sure whether it is an     incandescent lamp, or a flame and mantle style. It almost looks     as though there is a projection for fitting a gas feed to on the     more distant end.
    The brass section in the near end is the projection lens and a     brass knob for adjusting the focus.
    I guess that it *could* be an illuminator for a microscope     sub-stage, with the slot accepting color filters instead of     slides.
    Now to see what others have guessed or identified.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
that its a fish handling tool from Japan.

I agree that the smaller tool is a fish mover, but it's hard to say for sure about the other one.
Rob

934 A microtome
938 a picaroon
Steve R.

    I think that the purpose was to give longer "creep paths" for current to flow when it is wet -- e.g. from rain or ice. This allows it to operate at a higher voltage than a straight '+' shape would allow.
    Also less chance of someone interpreting it as an upside down Cross, and calling the power company "Satanic". :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

You mean it isn't Satanic!?!

I know PG&E is..Pacific Greed and Extortion....
The bastards And fuck Grey Davis with a farriers rasp too!
Gunner Political Correctness

That hurts just thinking about it! :)
Gunner wrote:

Come on, Gunner! You need something with at least a 2 HP motor to do the job right. BTW, don't forget to trim his hemorrhoids with your plasma cutter.
prove it.
says...

It's ceramic, i.e., brittle, so a sharp corner would be a likely place for cracks to start.
Ned Simmons

933 is the business end of what are called in the climbing biz as "protection". Specifically a Cam device.
http://www.acmeclimbing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID37
Rich Grise wrote:

The one longer arm with the smaller notch for a wire is for the messenger cable. That is a steel cable much stronger than the current carrying cables. The messenger cable allows the wires to be pulled tighter and higher than without it or used for longer spans. On three phase applications they would be used for low voltage only.
John
John wrote:

Was out driving today and saw some in the real world, of a more modern, presumably plastic, construction. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157600032880812 /
Note that the new ones have ratcheting clips instead of having to be tied on with wire.
Wouldn't be surprised if some of the ceramic ones were still up around here. If I see one and can get a picture I'll put it up on the same site.

--John