What to use on sheds previously creosoted?

My two sheds need another coat of creosote. The substitutes seem to be water-based so not really sure if it/they would penetrate areas of old creosote.

Suggestions? (apart from bootleg creosote or old motor oil please)...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

It is unusual for creosote to require "penetration". Has it not simply chalked away or is there some form of skin? If it has weathered to the point of needing replacement simply put in the new substitute. If it requires "scraping" first - so be it. An organic solvent based product will go in much further and if you want the best job give it a couple of coats of that first (to protect the outer few mm if a softwood) and then slap on your creosote as a further factor and also a UV protector. Personally, I would consider a Saddolins but it all depends on your pocket! Chris G

Reply to
mail

I thought there was a solvent based substitute called Creocote. (available at least from Homebase).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed - Google agrees it is solvent based and made by Mangers (2 pro points). No sign of it in my local homebase as was in there yesterday reading all the labels. Will look in ironmongers tomorrow.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

It is variable - some weathered away - but in sheltered parts quite black and oily so thought the new stuff would not stick.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

new engine oil & paraffin. Lasts well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can still buy real creosote if you want to use that?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Last two I've done I've used Creosote 'Substitute' from B&Q.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's what I use (and it smells lovely!) for the shed and all of the fences.

It's perfectly legal to buy the stuff, if you can find a supplier who is willing to sell it to you. My local ironmonger has a truly wonderful shop (a real 'four candles' sort of emporium), and keeps the creosote stashed away for his proper customers...

Creosote doesn't form a 'skin'. It's a fungicide and prevents the wood from rotting, rather then coating it like paint.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've used that too - a bit expensive (and it doesn't smell like it should....)

Reply to
Bob Mannix