What is it? CLV

Page 2 of 2

890. Board lifter and lowerer. It's for government work. 891. It's to a plumb-bob what Mecha-Godzilla is to regular Godzilla. 892. Jack Lelaine's childhood juicer. 893. Cuban beer tab. They know how to party. 894. Stupid tap. You hammer it into the skull of a teenager to vent all of the pent-up stupidity. The ring is to latch it to a 55-gallon drum. 895. Scale of justice. Note: it's tipped.

"R.H." wrote:

... snip ...

When I was about 10 my group was not in favor with the Canadian Pacific Railway. We mixed up some inferior gunpowder from saltpeter, sulfur, and soot from the chimney clean-out. After packaging and taping it could be persuaded to go off by placement on the railway lines and awaiting the next train. This was obviously caused by the inferior recipes available to us, which necessitated the extreme detonation measures. One of us claimed the packet caused about a 1 inch jump in a steam engine. Experiments showed that shunting at under 5 or 10 mph was insufficient for detonation. We were amused.
--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Spammer. You even advertise it.
Hell awaits you.
Please join my team in the fight against cancer. http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id 84296B-D4ED-49A2-A173-AEB0DD18A6CE
wrote:

What in hell are you talking about? The link takes you to a VOLUNTEER effort to further cancer research., Go there and learn something then come back here and say you are sorry!
--
Regards.
Ken.

Ken Davey said:
<snip>

I doubt whether Dave saw anything of your article except your plea, because, not unnaturally, he started reading your article from the beginning, rather than from the end. So the first thing he saw was your plea, and he probably never got so far as your message. Neither can I say I blame him. I reckon this one's your fault, for not knowing where and how to write sig blocks.
Your sig block belongs at the *end* of your message, after a line containing two dashes, a space (that's important), and a newline, like this: "-- " except without the quotes. See my sig for an example.
Sig blocks usually contain one's name, email if you felt obliged to mung your From and Reply-To, perhaps a Web site, and maybe a witty or pertinent message. Its topic doesn't have to match that of the group you're posting in.
I think you owe Dave an apology, rather than the other way around.
--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Richard; I have done the signature both ways in an attempt to get folks' attention. So far it hasn't worked to get anyone to sign up. I find this hard to understand. The project is non-profit and worthwhile and does not interfere with computer usage. I have been a contributor since 2002 and, ironically, I was diagnosed with a very serious form of cancer in 2006. The 'team' concept is intended to bring a 'community' feel to the project and does not profit me in any way except for the feeling of satisfaction when I am responsible for getting anyone to sign up. I started a RCM team and then did one for RFC (rec.food.cooking). As to Dave's post - that is the first time I have been on the receiving end of such an ignorant reply - nuff said.
--
Regards.
Ken.

Please join my team in the fight against cancer.

What I saw was apparent spam inserted above a lot of quoted text. I'll retract my tone, with the admonition that if you continue to post in that manner my "ignorant reply" won't be the only one you get.

OK Dave. Bury the hatchet time.
--
Regards.
Ken.

Please join my team in the fight against cancer.

Definitely.
And I did check out your link with the intention of participating. Unfortunately, the software is Windows only so I can't run it.
Best,
djb
Ken Davey wrote:

I went to their site. The link for technical information came up 404. So did the link for submitting a research project.
This link worked: http://www.grid.org/about/gc /
"Why is it important? Time and Money. Organizations that depend on access to computational power to advance their business objectives..."
"Even given the potential financial rewards from additional computational access..."
"The extra power generated by the Grid MP platform can directly impact an organization's ability to win in the marketplace..."
"Proven Security, Scalability, and Success To prove the security, scalability, and manageability of our technology, United Devices hosted virtual screening for cancer research on the Grid MP platform..."
It looks as if the "virtual screening for cancer research" was a marketing stunt. It looks as if grid.org exists to sell your cpu time to people out to make a fast buck.
Regards.
Ken.

Please join my team in the fight against cancer.
Ken Davey wrote:
[My newsreader won't quote you with your signature at the top.]
The Chemistry Department at Oxford University seems legitimate. Naturally they wanted to evaluate the shapes of 3.5 billion molecules. They say they have found 100,000 possibilities and now they have to start over. I don't know if the research might benefit medicine someday.
The National Foundation for Cancer Research is apparently a legitimate nonprofit, but I'd be skeptical about giving them money. They say they fund research that wouldn't pass muster with other organizations.
http://www.nfcr.org/Default.aspx?tabid@3 On this page the NFCR lists itself a partner with Oxford's Chemistry Department, United Devices, Intel, and Microsoft. UD brags about being in the business of getting PC time for businesses. The link to their page comes up 404. NFCR says in effect that Intel is a partner because it invented the PC and Microsoft is a partner because it invented the internet. It looks as if NFCR wants revenue from advertising their names.
https://secure.nfcr.org/Default.aspx?tabid@6 This page says before I can donate computer time I must give NCFR personal information, which they promise not to "distribute." What does "distribute" mean? I don't trust them, and they demand information before telling me if my computer qualifies.
On another page, NCFR says saturated fats have been proved conclusively to be harmful. Bruce Fife, Mary G. Enig, Ray Peat, Chris Masterjohn, and Jayson Kroner are scientists who dispute that. Human milk is 55% saturated fat. Dr. Albert Schweitzer was astonished that he couldn't find any cancer among the Gabonese until they went to a European diet. Dr. George Leavitt searched for cancer among the Inuit, who loved their blubber. He didn't find any for 49 years, until 1933, after they began eating a European diet.
Traditional diets have almost no polyunsaturated fat because it takes industrial processes to extract it. Cancer and heart disease have risen dramatically with its consumption. I'll ignore the NFCR and stick with the fats that countless generations have found healthful.

There was more?
In that case, I'll retract the nasty tone.

Hey Ken,
See, we figured it the other way around!!!!!!!
Hamilton CNR station on James St. N. has (or is it "had" now ?) a street level ticket and concourse and a 30 foot or so lower platform. It was set at the edge of a bridge, and the mainline ran under the bridge while the passenger loading was offset and "under" the station so to speak. There was an operator at this lower level, and any time he screwed us around doing a yard-job, we'd come back later and would sneakily set five or six torpedoes just outside his window within this sort of cave-like platform area. Then one of the yardmen would situate himself where he could watch the operator getting a train order from the dispatcher, and we'd reach in with two or three cars or coaches and set off the torpedoes. And was it friggin LOUD!!! When the operator finally crawled out from under his desk, he couldn't hear for the rest of the friggin night, so he couldn't use the phone (or his key) and had to do it all by teletype which would PO the dispatcher too!! We always HOPED it would get him to think more than 5 minutes ahead, and so get us over the main line when we had too, but I don't believe it ever helped. May even have slowed US up a bit!!!
It was also a great place to send a newbie in to get those orders in the middle of the night, usually with just light 1500 switcher, and tell this newbie that when he came out just stay on the foot-board so he could grab the next switch 100 feet down. Of course, we'd pop on a torpedo or two, and the engineer would "accidentally" move backwards a few feet and set off the bang almost under his feet and scare the crap out of the guy, I've never seen anybody come away from that "hazing", that they didn't glance at the rails as they came back to the engine anytime/anywhere.
I didn't chime in earlier on the torpedoes, but the purpose way back when, especially before ABS/CTC/radios, was to warn the NEXT train to pass over, no matter when or how much later, that SOMETHING was or had been going on within the next mile, so they would either slow a bit or at least be VERY watchful. If there was also a fusee still burning or smoldering, he would know it was fairly recent and he best get slowed WAY down. Rules or no, when I would flag a job, like a work train, I'd go as far as I could and drop two, then walk back to flag. That way the train approaching would hopefully stop somewhere near ME, so I didn't have to run after him stopping.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
ps....where and when were you "gainfully employed" Ken? We had a Davies (I think) that was a trainmaster in the 60's
Sent you a private Email. Let me know if you got it as things here (in Honduras) are a little flakey. Ken.
Hey Ken
Yes, I did get it. And I'm sorry, but I wasn't paying attention at the time as to where it came from or to, but I see now it did come as e-mail. And I can see why that was best!!!!!!!!!
I'll do a reply the same way.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:21:46 -0600, "Ken Davey"