What is it? CCIX

Page 2 of 2
Bill Rider wrote:

To put you out of your misery. :-) http://www.uspto.gov/go/classification/selectnumwithtitle.htm
Tom
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 20:41:19 -0500, Bill Rider
<snip>

Tom gave you a link for classifications. Here is another one that I prefer:
http://www.patentec.com/data/class/ClassesN.html
Actually it was patented in 1914 under two classifications:
Issue Date:        May 19, 1914 Current U.S. Class:    168/1 ; 168/30
See:
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber 96912
Searching pre-1976 patents via the US Patent website isn't for the faint of heart though. There was something like 367 patents granted for classification 168/30 in the database. I was just a bit lucky in finding this one. You don't hear about all my failures in finding these things...
<snip>

Many times I have noticed that the patent drawings are not exactly the same as the manufactured device. I suspect that the "handle" part was changed in the produced item. Either for better performance/ease of use or simply because it was easier to make.
I far from being a patent expert, just a curious person that likes puzzles, probably much like yourself :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Definitions! Thanks!

The tiff images have always been a problem. Safari, my usual browser, opens them too big. If I want to see the whole page at once, it takes extra steps. Firefox shows me the whole page but often won't open them at all.

For a human's sandal, the little "handle" in the patent drawing looks reasonable for holding a strap that would pass over the instep. The "handle" in Rob's photos looks too big and obtrusive for that.
I have another idea. With a motor vehicle, shifting to the right gear can help you cross mud without spinning and bogging. Perhaps it worked best for a horse pulling something on a slippery surface to take small steps. Perhaps these "handles" were intended to accept straps that could limit the size of the steps. If the strap were too close to the hoof it might get tangled in the cleats.

than being right.
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:20:23 -0500, Bill Rider

Use the US Patent site to locate the patent number of interest. Feed the patent number to Google and let them display the image as a png which most browsers can render directly. Here is my Google search string:
http://www.google.com/patents?q=%s&btnG=Search+Patents&num
Replace the %s in the above string with the patent number of interest. Like this:
http://www.google.com/patents?q 96912&btnG=Search+Patents&num
This will give you Googles general patent search page with number 1096912 results. Usually the first link is what you will want to persue farther.
I use the Opera web browser and have that set up as a special search and can just highlight some text, right-click on it and search via a popup menu.
If you just want one individual patent number use:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid 96912
Sometimes Google fails and won't cough up a good patent number. If I really want to see it then I look at the tif image via US Pat.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Well, I've checked the 168/30s from January 1, 1910 to January 1, 1920. I've found a third Joseph Herman cleat: 991,778.
I haven't found anything like Rob's photos. I wonder if it was classified as a training device, to train draft horses to take small steps. Either that or a toaster. :)
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:45:31 -0500, Bill Rider

I saw/looked at the earlier patent too. It didn't seem relevant to this discussion so I didn't mention it.
If I was a betting man (I'm not) I would put my money on the first patent I listed previously as to the one in Rob's photo.
http://www.google.com/patents?vid 96912
Notice that the patent uses the same odd looking round knobs on the front and the cleats underneath are virtually identical. Both in size and placement.
Note too that the "handle" part that bothers you would actually be partially underneath the horses hoof.
The patent image/drawing was an earlier version and the one that Rob took pictures of was a production model. What was changed cosmetically had nothing to do with what earned Joseph a patent on this device.
Another thing of interest was that it took over two years for the patent to be granted. The application date was Jan 29, 1912 and the grant was for May 19, 1914. That was a long time back then for a simple device. I noticed in doing past research that many simple items were granted in 6 months or less. Sometimes a year. I don't know why this one took over 2 years.
That's my story anyway :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Notice that the patent has only one lug on top of the plate, to rest behind the toe of the shoe. Rob's has three, to rest inside the shoe at three points.

It looks more than cosmetic to me. The inventor said the back stay was malleable iron to be flexible so the three stays would embrace the hoof. Rob's back stay doesn't look at all flexible.
Rob's system would depend on engaging the shoe with three lugs on the overshoe. That's not described in the patent.

Here's another one that took more than two years: 2,247,674. The patent office classifies it as a combination bread slicer and horse cleat. If Ronald Reagan were alive we could ask him if it wasn't images of troopers toasting bread over a campfire that enticed him to enlist in the cavalry. :)
Leon Fisk wrote:

Obviously the machine crashed :-)
Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:18:50 -0500, CBFalconer

That is a good a reason as any (grin).
In just doing casual research I've notice that the earlier patents slipped through the system faster. As the years progressed (closer to today) they take longer. Current back log is huge. See for current estimates:
http://www.xconomy.com/2007/11/15/annual-patent-report-shows-growing-backlog-in-key-technology-areas /
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Bill Rider wrote:

Something doesn't have to be "feasible" to be patented. Boeing (IIRC) has a patent for a dinghy to be towed behind an airplane while suspended under a square parachute.
--John

Awesome, thanks Leon! Just updated the answer page with a link to the patent.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

resembled it. I searched for "horse" and "mud" and "shoe" and found some similar cleats but nothing with a handle. I should look more carefully through the horse overshoes to see if any has a pattern of three studs on top.
Were there only two? For two legged horses? How about ice-fishing shacks about 1880? You wouldn't want to blow across the ice when the wind came up. So you put these under posts at diagonally opposite corners. You lever up the corner and use the handle to position the device without taking off your mitt or mashing your hand.
wrote in message >

Use my name if you want, or not---up to you. No problem at all using it on the answer page. Heck---I was thrilled that I knew what a couple of them were this week!!
Bill
1160 Looks like it may be a watchmakers hand remover, although it could also be a roller table remover.
1163 looks like an automotive trim & seal removal tool.
wrote in message

http://transylvanianhorseman.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/31/img_3820.jpg
Thanks for the links, you're right, those snow shoes are kind of odd looking.
Rob