What is a good price for a used table saw?

I am about to upgrade to a new table saw. My dad's 20 year old Craftsman saw is going to be surplused to I will list it on Craigslist and see if I can get some change for it. Still in good shape with a solid motor and belt drive.
How much should I ask for it?

Nothing. I've never sold a tool that I had lo more use for. More fun to give them away to someone that really appreciates it. .

Now that's pretty cool.
Robert

Gave away a Unisaw once. That was fun
Frank
Actually I figured with new decent saws going for $400 to $500, that around $150 - $200 would be reasonable. This is one of the good ones with a belt drive and a big motor. My dad never liked to buy junk. Craftwman was pretty good back in the late 70's
Frank Boettcher wrote:

ball bearings or bronze bushings? stock fence? blade? other accessories?

The local Penny Saver usually lists these saws in the $75 to $100 range.

the best of 20 year old craftsman table saws were quite good machines. were it fitted with a decent fence and blade, maybe with a mobile base, it could easily be worth something in the $500 range.
the worst of the 20 year old craftsman table saws aren't even going to make good boat anchors.
On May 8, 11:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Every seller of a used saw thinks its easily worth $500. But I live in America where everyone is allowed to price their used stuff however they want. That is good. And in America every buyer of used tools is able to choose what they purchase and how much they offer. That is even better.

Probably a safe bet to go with the $75 - $125 range. If you fitted it with a new fence you might get more, but that's about it for the Craftsman saws... I'm assuming (I hate that word) that it's a contractor model?

Where are you? Here in Madison WI, that saw could go on the market for 300 and be gone in a week. Maybe even 500.
That's not saying it's actually worth that much. It's more like saying there's a lot of people around here with more money than common sense.
I didn't actually give up on used tools, I just resigned myself to a lot more looking than finding.
I'll give you a hundred for it, if you pay for shipping.

Mapdude, I have a similar saw I bet. I recently got permission from SWMBO to buy a real cabinet saw and dump the Craftsman. I see these go for $100 all day long on my local craigslist. I don't know if they sell or not. It's amazing considering that you can go into Sears today and all they have are the tiny toy saws for $150 - $300. Good deals if you like old craftsman stuff. The only beef that I have (other than the useless fence and the sloppy miter guage slot, those I have dealt with) is the slotted aluminum top. Can't cut anything really nice on it without scratching your material. Come to think of it, I can't cut anything cheap on it either, like melamine. That's why I requested a new saw. Right now I'm cogitating between the Jet, Grizzly, or Shopfox 3 or 5 HP. I plan on selling the craftsman for $100 like anyone else.
Bob the Tomato

I don't know what they've got in stores, but I've recently given a Craftsman hybrid saw to a friend who lost his shop last year, and that is no $300 toy. I replaced it with a Craftsman Industrial 10" that weighs around 580 pounds, and that's no $300 toy, either.
This one has a cast iorn surface and cast iron wings. It's pretty heavy. But the fence is the weakest link of all. A good decent fence is not much less than a decent mid priced saw.
Bob the Tomato wrote:

Speaking about older Craftsman power tools- they just don't make them like they used to. We bought my 12" band saw back in 1973 for about $70- without motor or stand. Hubby put an old lawnmower motor on it (1/3 HP) and I built a stand out of 3/4" plywood. Today it is still my favorite shop tool, even though I have every tool known to man/woman. These band saws are often available at garage/estate sales for less than $100. If you see one you should get it, even though you have a band saw already. I have two others, but I like not having to change blades all the time. I keep a 3/4" (or 1/2") Timberwolf blade on my 14" Jet (a good buy too) and the 12" Craftsman has a 1/8" blade on it most of the time. That way when I'm making a band saw box I don't have to switch out blades. That is good. Donna Menke, author of the Ultimate Band Saw Box Book, Sterling Publishing, 2006

What kind of lawnmower has a 1/3 HP motor on it that can be salvaged. I would seem easier to use a motor out of a washing machine or a clothes dryer.

An electric lawn mower.
I think it was understood that the motor was electric....