What I want for Christmas for my Shop

Page 3 of 4
Wolf Lahti wrote:

The king of scroungers in my experience is the brother of a college friend. He built a large log house with bark-beetle logs the Forest Service gave away, and a sawmill buddy put two flat edges on each log..
-- Mark
Brian Elfert wrote:

Hee... I don't have to get it past any froofy color matching type regulations, which helps.
I'm not sure what the zoning/planning people would say to a request for a new shop building. My zoning situation is awkward. We're a residential neighborhood, but zoned commercial. They might deny me a new shop, or they might make me pay commercial taxes on it.
That's why my idea of a "decent" shop is just a bigger shed built on the same site. Stretch it a little here and a little there, and chances are nobody will ever notice, and I'll never have to deal with any awkwardness. Just getting it off the ground and away from termites would be a big improvment, as I'm waiting to fall through the floor of my present shop any day now.
In thinking about shop sizes, I really have to get *much* bigger before I see any real overall capacity gain in terms of the size of work I can handle comfortably. I can't site a building that large on my property anyway, unless I give up, say, the patch where we play croquet and toss a baseball around, or the well-established berry patch that chucks out delicious fruit for a good bit of the year. I don't have a lot of land to work with, so my sights are set on a sound, well-constructed, well-insulated, climate-controlled building that's only maybe 10-20% larger than the existing pile of termite droppings.
(Or maybe I win the lottery and buy that mostly empty industrial/commercial building across the street from my house. Let the one tenant pay for my taxes and insurance, then use the rest of the space for me. Yeah bayyyybe, get me some three phase monster sawdust makers and have all the room anybody could ever use... I figure my chances of finding a winning lottery ticket aren't much worse than my chances of winning if I play, so I don't buy tickets. ;)
Silvan writes:

If you can do it the way Bedford County does it...get it listed as agricultural. Then there's no inspection, no requirements at all really, and taxes are low. You need more than a city lot, though. I always figgered our 2 acres could support some chickens, but I went ahead and got a building permit anyway.
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

No chance of that. Before the road, the neighbors who would get eminent domained out cried long and hard, and convinced the zoning board to change this whole subdivision to commercial, so they could get more for their houses.
Since we're just over the hill from all the sprawl, and there are only a few houses here, sandwiched in by businesses on either side of the subdivision, getting them to change it to anything else would be awkward.
It's really not good commercial real estate though, as evinced by that empty industrial/commercial shell across the street that's been there almost two years. One electrical supply place on the end, and the other 5/6 or so of it is vacant.
I guess I'm kind of glad it's vacant though. They almost put a church youth center in there, for troubled youth... That just gives me the willies. I don't like the idea of a bunch of troubled, borderline criminal teens with a direct line of sight to my shop. I'd have to keep the doors closed, and avoid making any revealing noises, lest they seek out some cheap thrills and pot money.
Anyway, offer me $250,000 for the place (not really unreasonable under the circumstances, as that's only twice the tax value as a residence after they raised everyone's property values so high), and I'm outta here. No more problems then. Get an apartment for a couple of years until I'm done building my castle with the huge ass shop out back. :)
T. wrote:

I'm thinking about a used semi trailer, if I could figure out a place to park it that wouldn't be obnoxious. Same kind of idea. The old, short ones sell for practically nothing.
No place to put it though.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) writes:

My concrete slab is somewhat unique. Rather than just thickened around the edges, it also is thickened in the middle and has a 12" high wall all the way around. The price also includes some light excavation to level everything out. If I did all the labor myself, the price would be a lot less.
Brian Elfert

DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
David DeCristoforo asks:

I think John Lucas has most of those already.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Well Geez guys, if we're getting what we want, I'd prefer the calendar girls to rub me down than sanding my wood. Or, am I taking his response too literally? :)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:18:26 +0000, Upscale wrote:

Think I'd rather be rubbed up.
-Doug
do they still make calendars like that?
David DeCristoforo wrote:

--
---

BRuce

That, and everything else!
http://www.calendars.com
Click on the MODELS tab ... choose your poison CharlesJ -- =======================================================================Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com
yea but where are the tools! ;-) closest I could find was "Construction Chicks". I was looking for something just slightly less obvious, like the old Rigid tools calendars.
BRuce
Charles Jones wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Ah! You must be one of those "combination" machine users; you want girls *and* tools in your calendars. Here I was assuming a more dedicated-task focus ... you know, the tools-I-already-have so the calendar should focus on what I *don't* have. :-)
Funny thing is I don't have a calendar of any kind in my shop. Do have a clock though ... not that it tells the correct time ... CharlesJ -- =======================================================================Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com
don't have a calendar either. just looking for wall decoration or door decoration (not much wall space left). Funny think about SWMBO, she proly wouldn't object to a tool calendar that has scantily clad women on it but might make some noises about a scantily clad women calendar. :-)
I do have a clock, it has the correct time and it doubles as the shop cat.
http://facility.hollywoodswoodcrafts.com/images/shopcat1-web.JPG
BRuce
Charles Jones wrote:

--
---

BRuce

My wife has gotten me the "Fine Tools" catalog from Ronnie Sellers Productions - stunning pictures of the best in old hand tools. Unfortunately they are not putting out a 2004 edition and she has had no luck finding any sort of replacement. Any one know of something similar available? <BRuce> wrote in message

The Lie-Nielsen shoulder plane shown here!
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id 3&cart698465432124102
Glen

On 25 Nov 2003 03:58:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dteckie) wrote:

Doors and windows. The shell's done, got the exterior painted just in time for the freeze. _Need_ doors and windows. I'll build them over Thanksgiving.
Michael
I rather like the idea of an open house in the shop. All wRECers invited. Free food and grog. I'll lock up the hand tools and the silver. Maggy says she's called the guys with the butterfly nets. Oh well maybe the State Home for the Criminally Goofy has high speed access.     mahalo,     jo4hn
dteckie wrote:

I know a guy, James Jones, who makes musical instruments, who did just that. Got himself a large old trailer as a shop, moved it in, and used it for several years until he got his real shop built. His real shop isn't exactly a fantasyland piece, but it's darned close. Don't have a clue as to the money involved, but it worked for him, kept him solvent while he was touring craft shows, building a shop and supporting a family.