What I want for Christmas for my Shop

Page 2 of 4
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:56:14 -0500, Silvan

Mine's not.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Mine neither...
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Yeah I agree. She'll probably take up too much of your time wanting this and that . Will not give you time with your other love, like making sawdust with your tools.
As for myself this year don't need any tools just a bigger shop so I can fill it with more tools and wood. LOL

The old saying goes . . ."If it's got t*ts or tires, sooner or later it's gonna cause trouble and cost money"(LOL) Nahmie
Norman Crow responds:

Reminds me of an old friend, called to say he and his wife, both of whom I'd known since college, were splitting. She was a gorgeous, tiny redhead (back in the days before EVERY woman was a redhead). I said something about it being a shame, and his comment was, "No matter how great they are, somebody, somewhere is tired of their sh*t."
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dteckie) wrote:

My present is on its way already - a Mule Accusquare fence and their router table. Should arrive any day now.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Christmas came early this year for me.
Just got the 2 last pieces today.
Bosch orbital sander Bosch 1/2" 1617 router kit Freud router table and fence Freud raised panel bit set Delta 6" grinder Delta 6" Jointer Delta Morticer Delta 8" stacked dado set Delta tenon jig Cool gadget for pushing small pieces thru router or table saw.
Now I think I better start thinking about my wife or else I'm in trouble.....
Daniel
On 25 Nov 2003 03:58:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dteckie) wrote:

Too late! Bought myself a Jet closed stand jointer, Bosch jig saw and a dovetail jig. SWMBO figgered she was done shopping for my present when I got home! About a month ago I picked up a Harbor Frieght 2 HP dust collector, and a Lowes close out DeWalt 733 planer. Greg

How much was that? No, wait, don't tell me. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

$199 Greg

SWEEEEEET!
I want a JOB for Christmas- in my field!
On 26 Nov 2003 03:44:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dteckie) wrote:

What do I *want*?
Oh, why bother listing it all? My someday list is up to about $10,000 by the time you factor in building a decent shop.
I'm getting practically none of it. Why not list what I'm actually getting?
JET mini lathe maybe a scroll saw maybe a new router

I don't know how anyone could build a decent shop building for $10,000.
Estimates from various contractors for my someday shop building:
Concrete slab        $5000 Building materials    $6000 Seamless steel siding    $4400 (To match house)
A total of $15400 without any labor (except siding and slab).
The size is only 22' x 28'. I have to have planning commission approval. That is why everything has to match the house.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert writes:

The joys of country living. I built a wood floored 25x48 shop a few years ago, and, IIRC, total cost was under 15K. I wouldn't want to try it on 10K, though. The use of windows traded for old tools, doors made out of plywood and 2x4, rough cut poplar siding and subfloor, all helped.
I will suggest that you do it before you turn 60.
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken

And Charlie replies:

Costs for me -
Concrete slab with radiant floor tubing $3000 (slab DIY and $80/yd for crete) 24x36 white pine timber frame, purlins, shiplap and trim - free(*) Electrical and plumbing - a couple grand Roofing - cost of materials Labor to do-it-yourself, including cutting the frame and all other wooden parts on your own mill, from your own trees - a whole lot (and it ain't priceless) but it isn't cash out of hand.
(*) the gas and oil costs some money, I guess....
Jon E
Jon Endres responds:

But it does help to have the land, the trees and the mill. I got some guys to put my roof on...I'm not enamored of the idea of sliding 16' x 3' wide sheets of tin around myself, but otherwise, labor was my wife's and mine, though I bought the lumber (all the framing lumber, subfloor and siding cost under $3000).
Used seconds on the roofing. Traded for a batch of stuff. Did favors for some more. No plumbing. Electrical is no sweat, as that's fairly cheap. Square D 200 amp box. Power company charged $205 to run an underground cable 185' to my shop meter. In Parkersburg, they were estimating OVER $1000 to run any kind of cable about 85' so I could change my box location.
Heat: essentially free. Got an electric furnace from a local HVAC guy just before he discarded it. Works fine, but the people had gone with another kind of heating.
I was idiot enough to discard the AC, but we've got 3-4 small AC units from the house that will go in (put central air in the house about 3 years ago).
Beg, chisel, everything short of stealing.
But it is far more shop than I ever expected to have and will get daily use when we return to VA shortly.
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken
writes:

My gar...shop was built by the previous owner of the property. He claims that he put around $22,000 into building it! 24' X 38'. Greg
Brian Elfert wrote:

Depends on how good/lucky you are at scrounging. I got everything I needed for a 24-by-24 pole building with cedar board-and-batten siding and 2-inch-thick Australian pine* floor for about $300. That doesn't include wiring, but hey--it's a price I can live with.
A local contractor said he could build it for around $17,000, so I guess a couple weeks of my labor is worth $16,700. :)
(*No, I have no idea what Australian pine is, either. Work had this enormous shipping crate made of some kind of pine, and it was shipped from Oz.)