What I Got For Christmas Thread

Page 1 of 3

Got a leather Everlast body bag.
The canvas one was wore out.
This one seems too soft.
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

Wow ! I got a body bag too !
Rubbery vinyl with a nylon weave backing, looks like it's treated to resist odor absorbtion and for ease of cleaning. A cool head to toe zipper and two handles on the side and one loop at each end. Funny thing is, the card said,
"I hope I see you in it soon! Love, your ex-wife
Tom in KY, still kicking, although I have been smelling anti freeze when I burp.
Sorry Tom,
Actually I got a gift certificate for the 'bay. So I came up with an old Stanley # 8. I love Santa Clause again.
Tom in KY
On 30 Dec 2005 17:38:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

Ya know, Bubba, it ain't exactly the same thing, although I can appreciate your ex's sentiments.
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Now I know a chainsaw ain't a proper woodworking tool, but I wanted one anyway. I figure folks just have a right to expect a feller like me to have a chainsaw, even if my fireplace has gas logs in it. And I got a real proper leather shop apron with flaps over the pockets to keep the sawdust out. I'm really gonna like it. And a incra rule, cause my eyes ain't what they used to be. And several other nice toys and not even one tie or shirt!
DonkeyHody "I'd rather expect the best of people and be wrong than expect the worst and be right."

You should have a decent body bag and a good speed bag.
Both of these together will go for about a hundred and fifty bucks.
You should also have a set of free weights.
You don't need more than 250 pounds because you want to do reps, not mass. These should cost no more that eighty bucks.
A half way decent bench is only about 150 bucks.
When you start out, it's OK if you can only press your weight - unless you're a fat sloppy bastard - then, I'd back off to 150 and work your way up.
Your road work will consist of two miles at a brisk pace, to start.
You'll then go to five, then seven, then ten.
Once you get to ten, you'll go for time.
You need to be able to do ten in less than an hour.
Then you need to do wind sprints.
Buy good Everlast gloves and put a quarter pound weight on each wrist.
Work on simple combinations at first - one low, one high.
When you are ready - throw two quick ones from the slow side and finish with the deathblow from the smart hand.
Try as hard as you can not to have a smart hand - but everyone does.
When you work the speed bag - give it two shots from one hand and one from the other - work on your speed - and then change it so that it is backwards of what you did before - work on your speed.
When you work the body bag - this is the only time that you are allowed to roundhouse. Two straight shots from the weak hand, followed by a straight shot to the center - followed by a roundhouse rib shot.
This is a difficult combination to learn but it is worthwhile.
If you are strong enough, the rib shot will win for you.
Not immediately, but down the road.
If you will ever be good, that rib shot will come from the strong side - and it can be devastating.
Keep your hands in close to your face and your elbows close to your side.
Do not get fooled by head fakes.
If your man goes low for the body, protect and defend, but look for the high opportunity.
Watch out for headhunter dancers. They wear themselves out and you can take them in a later round.
Fear body punchers, for their throws are short and efficient - and they waste no ammo.
You need to keep your elbows down and wait for the opening up top.
Remember, regardless of what most boxing movies show, the game is all about what happens with your elbows tucked and your punches short.
Most body punchers can take almost any head punch that you can throw. But that is still the best way to stop them, unless they're pigheaded.
Sometimes a committed body puncher can be made to see reason by ringing his freaking bell.
But, you often need to body punch a body puncher. He'll have a weak side. Your corner will tell you, if you don't read it.
If you can soften up a side, like he will be trying like hell to do to you, that is a good way in.
I'll tell you what - by this point you have to be three rounds in. If you've made it this far - I don't have damned thing to tell you but don't spit out your mouthpiece and keep breathing as deep as you can.
Besides keeping your elbows tucked and your chin.
Ding Ding... Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

Whew! Sounds too much like work for me!
DonkeyHody
Fri, Dec 30, 2005, 5:53pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonkeyHody) mistakenly states: Now I know a chainsaw ain't a proper woodworking tool, <Snip>
On the contrary, a chainsaw is a precision carving tool. You just need to practice for a few minutes. No prob.
I considered I came out fairly well. A .22 Benjamin-Seridan air rifle, to go along with my .177 and .20. A .22 Chinese air rifle, to go along with my .177. Pellets for all. Some NATIO .9mm plastic training ammunition - damn, that stuff is loud when shot in the house. A book on steamboats I had been seeking for months. Pocket T-shirts. Boxers. Of course, I bought most of it myself, for myself, but at least that way I got what I actually wanted. The dau-in-law got me the shirts and boxers. All in all, not a bad day.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

I was trying to be consistent with the rant I made a few years ago. Repeated below.
Did you say CHAIN SAW? Why no self-respecting woodworker would own one! Their accuracy is the pits. You'd be lucky to get within 0.100 inch. And they vibrate a lot too. And spew sawdust everywhere. Can't hook up a dust collector - No way. Not to mention the DANGER. I've never seen one with a blade guard. I guarantee that more people were killed and maimed by chainsaws in the last decade than all the exploding PVC air lines in the history of the world. It's downright irresponsible to even consider buying one.
Sorry to go off on you like that, but I'm jumpy lately. I just haven't been able to sleep at night since they told me about the PVC pipe bomb in my shop.
DonkeyHody "Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish . . . and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."
DonkeyHody wrote:

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >spew sawdust everywhere.

Hey W.reckers,
When I was 12, my Father thought it would be fun to build a new house without temporary electricity. We built that house with a chainsaw and hand tools. I cut my first rafters there. And Oh - My! every cut had to be absolutely Dang perfect! Working for Dad has a level of pressure that is overwhelming.Besides, what 12 year old boy doesn't want to build a house with hand tools while his friends all play ball and go to the lake and all of the things that a 12 year old boy normally does? I somehow managed to stay out of trouble that year.
A chain saw can be pretty precise, but my experience is that a low angle block plane makes it 100% better. As with the plane, the sharper the chainsaw, the better the cut. Blade Guard? Hurry up and sink it in the wood. There's your blade guard.
Tom in KY, Dad was a subscriber to the Mother Earth News, Mom was just glad it wasn't a mud-hut. I guess though someone may suggest a gasoline burning generator in the basement with the windows open. Heh-heeeeee!
Tom Watson wrote:

And you're quoting from?
I did a search on Amazon and came up with nothing when I entered Further Away Than Yesterday.
I got it ! You got a George Foreman Grill !!
Tom in KY
On 30 Dec 2005 19:37:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

Experience.
As is only reasonable.

Nah. George charges too much. I have a Weber.

Better you than me.
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

You got something against the bluegrass state?
We've got trout streams, bass lakes, sawmills in almost every county, horses, bourbon, mountains, forests, deer, elk, electricity, farmland, crank labs, tobacco beds, rivers, horse racing, Louisville Sluggers, upland hunting, wetland hunting, wild turkeys, Hey! Mohammed Ali grew up in Louisville! It can't be all that bad. Maybe you should visit sometime. Sandy and I could take you fishing. We could pretend that they're just not biting while we keep you away from our honey-holes:-)
I enjoy your writing and I respect your opinions as much as anyone on this NG. Don't take my smart a$$ remarks too seriously.
Have a good day Tom,
Tom in KY
On 30 Dec 2005 22:16:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

Would it be OK if I moved there?
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

Yeah, sure, But I can tell already, you're out to steal all of my honey holes and if I had any bourbon, you'd probably help yourself to that too:-)
Tom in, well, you know where.
On 30 Dec 2005 22:32:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

You're right about the fishing.
But, I'm a confirmed Irish Whiskey (Tullamore Dew) drinker. (Amen)

Better watch out. I might be moving, based on your advertisement.
I can have the whiskey shipped in - but good bass fishing don't export well.
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

Kentucky Lake is a respected fishery by most major bass tournament sponsors and organizers. I live about an hour and a half from there with a boat in tow. The smallmouth are biting on suspended jigs right now. Dale Hollow to the south is also seeing the smallmouth bite. My uncle is fishing a tournament tomorrow. Cumberland River is pretty good, Green river Lake is great for muskie and walleye. Nolin River Lake, good. Barren River Lake,, I've not had luck there. Winter pooling /staging may be keeping that river from being a great producer. Yep, BYOB if you want.
I'm only one hour from the Fort Campbell WMA, trout streams there.Lots of small water-shed lakes and ponds too. But the closest water to my place is Green River. Too much barge traffic (I believe)along with a really dry summer has ruined the fishing for this year. There are a few catfish pulled out of there that will make you think twice about putting a bare foot in the water. 2 years ago there was a 97lb. cat caught on a jug line. Last year we were night fishing and saw a jug running about 20-30mph across the surface before being pulled under. Several other guys saw it and that may become the new urban legend here, The Jug Fishing Ghost?
Tom in KY, got more fish tales.
On 30 Dec 2005 23:06:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

You also have Ricky Skaggs, my most favoritest musician on earth.
(watson - who still likes Beethoven pretty good, but thinks that Ricky runs a close second.)
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

county to the south, home of the Everly Brothers; Hopkins county to my west, home of Mila Mason; Daviess county to my north, home of the Blue Grass Museum and home of Johnny Depp and The Nascar Waltrip boys. A regular hot-bed of crazies.
I like all three of the classical B's but you'll hear Ricky on the radio more often.
On 30 Dec 2005 23:25:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

"Daddy, won't you take me down to Muhlenburg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lays
I'm sorry my Son but you're to late in askin' Mr. Peabody's Coal Train done hauled it away..."
(from a tune that I used to sing when I was a young man - now I am old and tired - and must go to sleep - good night, my friend)
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /