What ever happened to sweeping compound.

Page 1 of 2
During my efforts to sweep up some scraper shavings I suddenly remembered we used to use sweeping compound in shop class when I was in school. Many times, it's not worth the effort to get a vacuum over to a site and I simply want to use broom or brush and dustpan.
Did sweeping compound disappear for some good reason or did the Army use it all up during the 60's. Are they storing it in some hidden location?

Industrial or janitorial supply houses should still have it. I just bought a drum for the warehouse a couple of weeks ago.

What is it?
Barry

in the mix. The stuff is sprinkled on a floor and swept up with the rest of the dust. I recall seeing it in small town grovery stores that had wooden floors. The floore were red tinted from years of use of the compound. The oil mixed in was to keep the dust down similar to dust mops having a bit of oil added to keep the dust down.

Leon wrote:

I've seen people use a sprinkle bottle with water to do the same. No oil - wouldn't it be slippery?
Josie

No more so than a waxed floor. They used to use it in schools and other institutions for those long, wide hallways. The janitors then always wore green work clothes and used a broom or dustmop with a head about the size of Rhode Island. You always knew where they used it, as there was a distinct but not unpleasant odor.
LD

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:54:43 +0000, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Wow. Remembrance of things past. Your last sentence evoked the smell. Hot spring days, watching the clock creep toward 3:00, hearing the swish swish of the broom out in the breezeway...
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Jeez...I remember when my dad brought half a tin drum (I'd guess about 40 gallon size) of dark green sweeping compoun home from work. That lasted for years. He later used the drum for storing coiled electric wire. :)
John
I though the purpose of the compound was to avoid the swish-swish. With the compound we were taught to push the mop straight ahead. The repeat stroke is to pick up dust left behind. Compound left nothing.
School always smelled like linoleum - the real stuff - waxed with water-emulsion wax, and construction paper.

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:54:43 GMT, Lobby Dosser

factory I worked in... it left the floors a lot less slippery than they were before we used it, as I remember...

In the school district I work in they now use "oiled" dust mops. These are about 3 ft wide or so with replaceable head covers. The covers are impregnated with a substance that appears to accomplish the same as the old compound - all the fine dust is picked up & easily shaken out without leaving any oil or anything else on the floor surface. When the effectiveness wears off simply replace the head cover and put the used one in a bin for the company that supplies them to launder and retreat.
On 8 Nov 2004 06:29:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

the mother of all Swifters? *g*
(David Hall) wrote:

Pretty much, except that they are reusable after laundering and retreatment.
snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

Another tradition going! Maybe we need to get started on an oral history of sweeping compound before the last users die out. :o)
<snip>

Are you willing to host and maintain the web site? ;-)
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:11:12 GMT, patriarch <> wrote:

It's there already. wikipedia.org - online collaborative encyclopedia project. If there's not an article there, branch out from a logical place.
Dave Hinz
I spent a summer working in a warehouse right after graduating from high school. The warehouse had been built around the first world war (OWW Lots of beautiful beams!). I don't think it had been swept ever! We used almost four drums of sweeping compound in two days. The foreman wasn't thrilled. He told us that they used one every couple of month in the larger warehouse.
Grant
"patriarch <" wrote:

Menard's has the compound on sale this week in their flyer.
message

advantage of a sweeping compound it getting up the finest of dust and not just spread it around.
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 00:51:30 -0500, "firstjois"

Not only lets you sweep without raising dust, but I think if the floor is slightly damp, it sort of attracts dust from sanding and things, which is better than letting them float around until you breath them..