What do YOU use kerosene for?

Also an engineer told me that years ago.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Boy would _that_ be dumb, given the flammability of gasoline. We'd be back to the Molotov cocktails we drove at the outset of WWII.
One fuel does all is the objective. Helps the logistics planners a lot.

Nevertheless, that was my recollection, too. But, this is the internet, so I took a look. Read 'em and weep:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1-intro.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm

Nevertheless...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

FWIW the M60- A1,-A2-A3 were all diesel powered. They were the main battle tank up until about 1991 or so. You didn't want to be any where near the exhaust when they started up or you would be covered with soot. I know zilch about the M1Al. Larry SP4 3/51 Inf, 4th Armd Div '66-'68 Ferris Barracks, Germany
LRod wrote:

you're being confused by the term 'gas' turbine. The gas is the combustion products that spin the turbine wheel -- analogous to a steam turbine.
See for example: http://www.armychik.org/M1A1Specs.htm
I don't think gasoline is used in any current generation combat vehicles in the US Army and I believe NATO is multi-fuel as well.
--RC
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:26:39 GMT, Rick Cook

I guess I am. Does that mean that the Chrysler concept car they built in the '60s powered by a gas turbine wasn't gasoline powered either? That's how long I've been laboring under that misapprehension.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

No, one doesn't preclude the other...I believe the Chrysler was gasoline-fueled--I recall it was on campus while I was in school at Engineer's Open House weekend (but I was a NucE, so was on the other end of the engineering campus and it was already gone by the time I got there... :(

Diesel, kerosene or jet fuel. These days most large military vehicles use mutli-fuel engines. Diesel is favoured because of the reduced fire hazard, but they're set up to burn pretty much anything. The Abrams is unusual in that it's one of the few front-line vehicles that _can't_ mutli-fuel like this. As of a couple of years back, the British Army is gasoline-free for any engines other than motorbikes and chainsaws, and they were looking at those too.

He was a mechanic. An engineer would also know _why_ they don't run gas turbines on gasoline.
Andy Dingley wrote:

can burn gasoline.
--RC

Diesel fuel, kerosene, and jet fuel are all pretty much the same thing. Any engine that burns any of the above should run fine on any other one, at least in the short term.

They are turbine powered but a turbine will run on anything that burns. Gas, diesel, alcohol, paint thinner, jet fuel, if you can light it an M1 will run on it.
AAvK wrote:

liquid.
--RC

The BEST material for cleaning packing grease off new tools. Bottom feeders may ignore this advice, since they'll never have packing grease to remove.
-- LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I remember as a kid my dad using it "for everything," too.
Cleaning greasy parts is NOT a suprise for me ... using it on rusty tools I'll have to try - that's new to me. I used it quite successfully to get the shipping paste off the cast iron tables of my TS.
-Chris
Bob in Oregon wrote:

I used it for soaking an old carborundum stone I'd bought which was covered in some sort of paste grease, it thouroghly cleaned it. Because of the fumes I let it sit outside on newspaper for a week, which also worked fine.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

You are not going to believe this one..
Back on the mid 60's my mother had to go into the hospital to have eye surgery. She remained in the hospital for a couple of weeks and had an elderly lady as a room mate for about 1 week. While visiting my mother a nurse came into the room to prep the elderly lady for her eye surgery and wanted to collect her jewelry and false teeth. The lady looked to be about 102 to me but was probably in her 70's. Any way the lady responded that the had no false teeth and had never lost any teeth. The nurse being very surprised inquired how she could possibly have never lost any teeth for as long as she had lived. The elderly lady's reply was that every day she rinsed her mouth out with kerosene.

A true fire-breather. Sounds like a fine woman.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Wonder how grandpa felt about that.
Bet there were some grandkids who weren't too hip on getting kisses (or even holding close conversations) with grandma.