What can you use to sand a router cut?

I have a set of doors that are pretty weathered. It has a router pattern. Isn't there something that takes the shape of whatever you are sanding so that you can use it to sand the entire length?

Reply to
Metspitzer

maybe, depends on the pattern, foam sanding pads may do it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Not perfectly, AFAIK

I often use the router bit itself to smooth grosser areas by scraping.

The thin, grey foam sanding pads work pretty well but the routed edge usually has to be sanded in more than one pass depending on the complexity of the profile.

Flap wheels - those where the flaps have been cut into about 1/8" wide fingers - also work pretty well but they will diminish the sharpness of edges.

Reply to
dadiOH

I haven't tried this myself but I have read of mixing a batch of body filler or some similar material, place it over a good section of the molding profile, with a suitable release agent or maybe some plastic wrap or something over the wood, and letting it harden to a negative shape of the routed channel. Then use it to back up some sandpaper. If you do try that, let us know how it works out.

Reply to
Larry W

try therse - they work for me!

Contour Sanding Grips