What am I doing wrong with Google Groups

Seems like it used to be when I read posting on Google, exited and came back later it showed the number of posts since my last visit. Now everytime I return the number keeps getting bigger. It's over 3000 now for the wreck and just keeps getting larger. And regardless of how far back I go it always says something on the order of 8 new posts of 8 total for every subject. I dont recall changing any settings but evidently my computer is not keeping track or I have inhibited Google from keeping track. Now it's also possible I'm having a Senior Moment and am just imagining it used to keep track. Any help appreciated.
I don't like the new google newsreader too much. You might be better off to setup Outlook Express as your newsreader (since there's a good chance it came pre-installed on your computer). You can choose others, of course, but I find that a real newsreader is lot better in many ways.
-- Tom

Amen Amen Amen.... And I do not use Outlook ...BUT a dedicated newsreader is just to handy to do without...
Bob Griffiths
I use Agent as my newsgroup reader along with Supernews as the provider. No problems.
Jim in Milwaukee

Go figure. Started working again. Must have been the planet alighnment.